food How to make "Capshish"

This happened by accident.
One day I was hollowing out some Jalapenos to make some poppers and I saved the seed attached placentas and let them dry. A few days later I cleaned off all the seeds and thought, "What if I powder all these placentas, since this is where the heat is?" I put the dry placentas in a coffee grinder and made powder...and darn it was hot. So the next time I had a bunch of Cili Goronong peppers and cut the pods in half and cut out the placentas with seeds attached ( I was also saving the seeds), to make hot sauce with the pods. A couple of days later I removed the seeds and powdered the dried placentas. The taste was intense as well as the heat. The pods still retain a lot of heat but the powdered placenta was real hot and had an intense flavor. I have since started doing this with a lot of peppers especially the super hots as they have large amounts of placental tissue. Using rubber gloves is essential I learned my lesson real quick when I went to take off my contacts that night and putting them on the next morning was unbearable. Ive been using the placenta powder to heat up pickles and make hot olive oil as you use very little.
Try it out...its good.

Oh...oh yeah. I will be trying an ice water oil extraction and see how this works. I will let you know.

Lotta capsaicin in that inner tissue that's for sure. Would probably be even hotter if you scraped the walls of the superhots with a knife and put the oil and placenta that comes off in there as well. I never bothered powdering the pure placenta thinking it might be too hot and bitter for me to want to use but you sir have intrigued me. Glad to hear you enjoy the taste so I might try it with some of what I have left and see if I can enjoy it! Is the taste similar to the main flesh but stronger or something or do you just get an intense 'hot' taste?

I also haven't heard of ice water extraction so I'm interested in that. Sounds like something I might have done in Chem II but I can't remember those labs to save my life.

what is an ice water oil extraction?

I don't know about using ice water to extract oil, but it is used by certain "entrepreneurs" to extract trichomes from a certain green leafy plant in order to make something that sounds similar to "capshish". In this case, the idea is that the trichomes are heavier than water and will sink to the bottom of the container holding the water. The ice is added to chill the material down because apparently it helps the trichomes break free from the plant.

I do not see how it would work to extract capsaicin from peppers but I'm not a chemist or physicist.

In a typical home setting I would think the easiest thing you could do is soak your (dried) peppers in Everclear (190 proof...95% grain alcohol/5% water) for a few days and then allow the alcohol to evaporate. Unfortunately the alcohol will also break down things other than capsaicin so the resulting oily substance will not be pure capsaicin (It will be hot though lol).

I was just joking about the ice water oil extraction, Dorkasaurus did catch on to the "refererance" though. Although this does get my head spinning on other ways to extract the pure oils from the dried placentas. Maybe some sort of steaming or freezing process would work, I'll have to try it on Jalapenos incase I goof as they are not as hot and easily obtainable.

The alcohol would very much do the trick and evaporating would concentrate it further (I just want to make some tasty super hot condiments, not pepper spray by the way) , I have thought about it, but all the alcohol I have at home is flavored and only about 80 proof. I may have to go buy some Everclear as it would give me a quicker product than soakin in oil.

Dorkasaurus, I didnt know you were from NuMex? Im two hours away from you. We may have to get together!

The problem with extracts is they taste bad. If I'm looking to spice something up I use the hottest peppers I have access to, which is often habaneros. I dried and powdered most of my peppers this year... it reduces mass and will turn a "giant" Jalapeno into a teaspoon of powder.

Yeah I keep hearing about the extractions carring a not to appealing taste. I think what may yeild the best taste would be powders left to sit in oil. I had once purchased an oil that was really hot but tasty as all hell. I cant find it anymore. Is was for oriental cooking. Im just going to have to try this out as I have many different powders. Thanks alot guys for the input.

Its easy to make a crude extract but to make it taste good is another story. With a crude extraction you are extracting pretty much everything with a solvent, not just the capsaicin. Further purification should be considered

Back