• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

How to properly pickle peppers

About a year or so ago now, we bought a jar of pickled Scotch Bonnets with garlic and they were by far one of the best pickled chillies we've ever eaten. The main thing was that the peppers were still crunchy with a pickled tang to them.

Since then we've been trying to replicate them and have tried different vinegars, pickling raw, cooked etc. To no avail. They just go mushy or super-hot. Are there any pro-picklers about that could help?

JayT said:
A tip for crunch that I got from ALabama Jack is calcium chloride.  Ball used to sell it as something called pickle crisp.  Really does the job.  You can't buy Ball brand anymore, but you can still buy calcium chloride.

What he said, also "Calcium Dications help strengthen the polygalacturonic acid matrix between cell walls."  a repost of mine from another thread.
ChronYoungSci_2011_2_2_83_82978_u5.jpg

Its comes from a old recipe for pickled cukes I ran across. You can find grape leaves at health food stores and some times in just regular ones as well. Might have to order online.

I have heard the grape leaf thing many times before (for pickles...lacto fermented pickles). I have never tried them before but as AaronTT said I believe it comes from the old ways of doing things. It isnt used much today as we have better choics available to us. Although some do still use them I think its more of an astetic thing nowdays.  Calcium cloride is superior to grape leaves. According to the NCHFP......
"Grape leaves contain a substance that inhibits the enzymes that make pickles soft. However, removing the blossom ends (the source of undesirable enzymes) will make the addition of grape leaves unnecessary." I do know that you can use grape, oak and I think horseradish leaves, but from the research I have done in the past those who have tried grape leaves did not get results they were hoping for. I have been canning A LONG time and the "no waterbath" method if done correctly is the way to go for crunchy peppers.

It took me many years of failed results before I said the hell with books/literature. Grandma knows best. Everything else I can I DO use the waterbath methd but for peppers no way jose.

JayT said:
A tip for crunch that I got from ALabama Jack is calcium chloride.  Ball used to sell it as something called pickle crisp.  Really does the job.  You can't buy Ball brand anymore, but you can still buy calcium chloride.
I bought Pickle Crisp last year at a grocery store ? Amazon is selling it still I better stock up I bet WallyWorld still has it. On a side note isnt Calcium Chloride added to pools to increase calcium hardness? purity might be a factor or its used for home brewing

I use Ball's Pickling Lime, but I bought a large container of it and still have quite a lot left after 5 years it will definitely put the crunch back into your peppers, pickles and even okra which my grand daughters love.
The price is very reasonable as you only need 1 tps. for a 1/2 gallon mix. you can make great canned or fresh frozen snap beans also.

I picked up Ball's Pickle Crisp Granules at Wally World in town today.  Ingredients:  Calcium Chloride.  If anyone has trouble getting it, let me know :-)

Jim

Back