food How to remove capsaicin from cutting board?

I only have one cutting board that I use for pretty much everything. Though it sounds good to me, spicy apples might not go over so well with the 3 year old. How do you get capsaicin off a wood cutting board? Soap and water work ok, but if I chop a bunch of peppers, like for a sauce, or a few superhots, there is still some pretty serious residue that a normal wash doesn't get.

Not meaning to skirt the question, but I think a dedicated cutting board, knife, etc is a must when you grow superhots and there are little ones in the house. Even something that works really well wont catch a spot of cap that is missed.

Wood is really tough to get the oils out of. Soap and hot water are about your best options. If it's a free-standing board (as in, not inset into the counter) maybe use one side for chiles and the other side for everything else. Check out the thrift stores, bet you can find one there for <$1. There are those roll-up plastic ones also that don't take up much space.

fyi- food service protocol calls for a dedicated cutting board just for raw meats so there's no chance of cross contamination from the raw meats to veggies or whatever. I doubt many people have a dedicated cutting board for meats in there home, but if a person can, it's a good idea.

Ooh, I do, I do!

I use a big plastic one for meat, a small plastic one for veggies/chilis and another LARGE plastic one for cooked meats (that one has a nice blood/juice gutter running around the outside).

I have a little wood one that came with my sink that I use very occasionally - but I am such a paranoid about food preparation (probably from years of working in a restaurant) that I'm constantly washing hands, and really don't trust the wood cutting board because it's so porous.

As others mentioned --- should really have at least 3 boards -- one for raw meats (some people use 3 for this to keep seafood - poultry and red meats separate since they require different cooking temps to kill most common pathogens they carry) - one for cooked meats (cutting after cooking) and one for fresh vegetables\produce to prevent cross contamination -- And since you mention kids I'd get a separate one for the hot peppers as well.

I hardly ever cook with meat anymore, and when I do it doesn't touch that board. Point taken on superhots and kids. I don't have any growing this year, but likely will next year, guess I should ask Santa for a cutting board.

Also, on plastic vs. wood: there is no real safety benefit to using plastic boards in a household kitchen. The wood provides a hostile environment for pathogenic bacteria so normal cleaning habits keep the board safe. Plastic is easy to disinfect, wood self-disinfects, use whatever you like.

c.f. http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

P.S. I had to take a break while typing this because an assassin bug was walking across the table right in front of me...back out to the garden with you!

I would be killed with prejudice if I used the "house" cutting board.
Pick up a plastic cheapy from a dollar store.
I got a 3 pack at our local store for under $10, and I don't have to worry about contaminating the normal peoples' food.

And they know not to use my cutting boards.

Ooh, I do, I do!

I use a big plastic one for meat, a small plastic one for veggies/chilis and another LARGE plastic one for cooked meats (that one has a nice blood/juice gutter running around the outside).

I have a little wood one that came with my sink that I use very occasionally - but I am such a paranoid about food preparation (probably from years of working in a restaurant) that I'm constantly washing hands, and really don't trust the wood cutting board because it's so porous.
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm

I stand (sit) corrected!

I always thought wood cutting boards were sketch so I started buying plastic/acrylic ones.

Plus I can toss 'em in the dishwasher which for wood doesn't work out so well.
:(

Thanks for the link ABG - interesting read. Old habits die hard, so I'll probably remain a little paranoid but over time I may overconme my fear of wood cutting boards.

Funny side note: I am totally envious of my buddy's 80 year old bucher's block - stand alone in the middle of his kitchen, weighs like 200 lbs. It's pretty bad ass. And it's the one wood cutting surface I have no issue with.

Back