• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How to take a pepper cutting

I've been taking lots of cuttings lately (most C. Chinense) and had 100% success so far. Just an excellent way to replicate your favorites. It's addicting. I use a homemade aeroponics system I made for under $30. Instead of buying five plants at the store, I buy one nice one and rob cuttings. I turned 1 Naga I paid $3.99 for into five! $0.80 each sounds nicer.

Chris

I have seen a Potato root stalk grafted to a Tomato, Bell Pepper, and Eggplant. All in one plant.

I dont know about you guys but thats pretty f-in awesome.

I hope to get into cloning later this summer, once the plants develop plenty of strong shoots.

It doesn't seem like a viable alternative for seeds, unless one is looking for a couple of plants, but cloning some knockout rose bushes and a couple of peppers and toms would be worthwhile.

I tried a rose bush, followed the instructions from various sites to a tee, and it died. I understand that rose's are more difficult and I don't want to give up the idea because of one failure, but it has mad me shy.

Mike

Start with tomatoes, they'll root quickly even in straight water. Roses can be very tricky, you want to take new spring/summer growth

I propogate mostly by cutting. Seeds are a pain in the potato, take a long time and there is no certainty what you get when you are done. I grow chiles to eat and have favorites which I clone.

I grow in hydro and my success rate is pretty high. I clone roses successfully in hydro (aero actually).

Willard, do you just use ph'd water or what sort of nutrients or supplements do you add to your aero system? I can't seem to get hydroguard in Canada.
Also what about lighting for clones? Regular 16 hours or more/less? and what type of lighting is best?
I've taken many successful clones but I'd like to improve my percentages with an aero system and some good advice.

Back