• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds How to tell dud seeds?

Is there anyway to get a better idea of this? Had first of 4 seeds ring of fire come up today after a good few weeks. Decided to dig the remaining 3 up to see if there was any signs of life and nada. no split nothing.

Was I just unlucky or is this expected? Might they need more time or should they have done something by now?

Th only real way to tell is be patient. Some people do the float test but i have had seeds float and still germinate so i don't buy into it at all. Bottom line is chile peppers can take a while to germinate.

QUOTE=wurge;214639]Is there anyway to get a better idea of this? Had first of 4 seeds ring of fire come up today after a good few weeks. Decided to dig the remaining 3 up to see if there was any signs of life and nada. no split nothing.

Was I just unlucky or is this expected? Might they need more time or should they have done something by now?[/QUOTE]

my 1st batch of red habs did similar after 6 days under the ground i had 2 sprouts out of i dunno maybe 6-10 planted; but then 2 weeks later like 5 more sprouted, out of all of them 4 survived to 1 gallon pots

You have got to give pepper seeds time. They like warm dirt too. Temps should be kept under 90F/32C I think.

yeah i believe 75-85 degrees optimal, 80-85 for faster germination, 75-80 degrees for slower germination but higher chances as well....most on here will agree 80-82 degrees is the preferred temp if you can get it to hold there

allenstu said:
Th only real way to tell is be patient. Some people do the float test but i have had seeds float and still germinate so i don't buy into it at all. Bottom line is chile peppers can take a while to germinate.

I did a float test on some of my problem seeds this year. Turned out exactly the opposite of what I thought - the floaters germinated better. Go figure.

I get all kinds of strange results. I'm not overly accurate with my soil and temps and sometimes I get 6/6 withiin 24 hours of each other. And then sometimes I get squat or something in between.

If mine don't sprout in 2 weeks then they get pitched, unless they are very rare. Most of mine germinate in 3-10 days. If you are unsure of the quality of your seeds, you can germinate them with the paper-towel tecnique and this will give you a better idea of what percent actually sprout.

Back