• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to tell if a Numex Big Slim is ripe?

How does one know when a green pepper is ripe?

IMG_2244.jpg

when its green :P Duh!

Step 1
knock on it and if it sounds hollow.

Step 2
Stand in front of me in the grocery store for 10 minutes poking it, as that is what seems to work for every one.

Step 4
Spin it on a flat surface and if it wobbles it is done.

Big Slim or Big Jim............That chili looks like its starting to turn color which is just past where I'd pick it. No problem at that state or letting it turn red. But I prefer to pick the pods while they still feel firm and at the point where the growing has stopped. I like the crunch to the green pod but more so the fact that I like to roast them on the grill. Strips of those peppers or the "Hatch" and the standard "Anaheim" taste great on burgers when roasted and peeled into strips...............quality Ground Aged Beef or Bison............a must for a great burger

Greg

Big Slim or Big Jim............That chili looks like its starting to turn color which is just past where I'd pick it. No problem at that state or letting it turn red. But I prefer to pick the pods while they still feel firm and at the point where the growing has stopped. I like the crunch to the green pod but more so the fact that I like to roast them on the grill. Strips of those peppers or the "Hatch" and the standard "Anaheim" taste great on burgers when roasted and peeled into strips...............quality Ground Aged Beef or Bison............a must for a great burger

Greg

We were thinking the same thing ... it seemed to be going just past (since we thought it was a green pepper), so we picked it and I popped it on here for confirmation ...

Thanks for the input ...

it ain't ripe but anaheims are often used green... i'd roast that sucker now.

once they ripen i like to smoke them.

They are red when ripe, but taste great green too when roasted and peeled.

They are red when ripe, but taste great green too when roasted and peeled.

I'll be grabbing what's there and plucking all of the leaves and doing a little pruning to combat the BLS ... thanks for all the input.

Ripe red is sweeter but less cruchy/firm. They're easier to roast when still a bit green or totally green. I usually like to pick them when they just start to show some red

I definitely like the roasted green pods, really brings out the flavor. I lived a few years in NM and all summer long you can get fresh roasted green pods (NuMex, Hatch, etc.). Year-round the groceries carry dried fully red pods, which are also great. Throw a whole dried pod in a pot of chilli, or grind it up to make the best home-made chilli powder!

I'm pretty sure the commercial growers harvest the green pods as soon as they stop increasing in size. Obviously, the red version has to stay on the plant until it... turns red.

Back