• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to tell when your peppers are ripe.

I created this topic hoping to get a comprehensive pictoral list of some popular hot peppers and what they look like when they are ripe enough to pick so that new growers would be able to tell. I was hoping that this topic could be pinned so that when anyone wants to know about what each pepper looks like when it is ripe, they need not make a new topic or hijack a thread asking other people on there when their peppers are ok to pick.

So, to get the ball rolling, I will give an example of what to post.

The Mammoth Jalapeno Strain will start off it's peppers with a very light green almost yellow pepper. When ripe they will turn red, although most people like the Jalapeno best when it turns green. These peppers here are good color/size for those that like the green flavor (traditionally preferred) of the Jalapeno.

dscf0001mu.jpg

By wolfman0709 at 2012-07-04

When ripe they will turn red, although most people like the Jalapeno best when it turns green.
Sorry, but I disagree with that statement. I think most jalapenos in this country are sold green for the grocer's or packer's convenience. Because they are largely sold green, that is what most people are familiar with. Most people who don't grow their own never have a chance to try a ripe one. I suspect that if more people had the opportunity to try ripe jalapenos, and they were more widely available, you would find most end up preferring them ripe.

They have more vit C when they are green but not so hot, when they are red they are hotter but less vit C.

What are you looking for? heat or health?

Mezo.

Another thing to keep in mind is variances from one country to another, as well as regions within a country. Although jalapenos are most frequently sold green in the U.S., that is not the case in Mexico, for example.

They have more vit C when they are green but not so hot, when they are red they are hotter but less vit C.

What are you looking for? heat or health?

Mezo.

Its actually the opposite:"Red peppers are ripened green peppers. As such, they contain more nutrients - a red pepper contains twice the Vitamin C of a green one, and ten times the Vitamin A. Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz20Nk6SpTx "Not the most credible of sources, but I remember reading it elsewhere as well.And I've found that some fully mature green jalapenos can be DAMN hot. As hot or hotter than a mature hot banana pepper. With all the red jalapenos I've picked they've tended to be kinda sweeter, and don't have that variation between peppers. With the green jalapenos I've had some as mild as green peppers and some hot as what I described.I like green jalapenos more fresh, and red jalapenos as canned/sauce. After you can green jalapenos they just seen to lose all their flavor, might as well be pickles to me. The red jalapenos though tend to keep that sweet flavor and a little bit of heat. And the green jalapenos aren't good for sauce, while the red ones are awesome. Second favorite sauce I've ever made was from a couple hundred red jalapenos, second only to the sauce I made out of pure orange habaneros.

I think we kind of missed the original intended purpose of this thread guys...to post pictures of various hot peppers in their stages of ripening to aid novice growers in deciding when to pick their own. Since I'm one of those novice growers myself, I very much look forward to seeing these pictures from all you seasoned growers.

This thread has potential for sure. I personally would like to see a ripe black pearl. I have tons on my 2 plants but not really sure if they are ripe or what they look like in there ripe state.

Thank you guys... I appreciate the coming back on topic. I would love to see this thread become the definitive go-to guide for what ripening/ripe pods look like for novice growers. Can we please get back to that? Moderators, appropriate off topic post removal, please?

This thread has potential for sure. I personally would like to see a ripe black pearl. I have tons on my 2 plants but not really sure if they are ripe or what they look like in there ripe state.

I have one too...the prettiest plant in the garden...

As for the original topic...I think the "know what you grow" rule applies. I know my Jamaican Yellows are ripe when they're yellow...I know my Naga Morich is ready when it's red. I think a lot of the obligation of the grower is to know what they grow...

Greta idea for a thread.

Would like to see a lot of pepper varieties in ther ripe stage. I have almoust 30 varieties growing this year, manyof them I grow for the first time, and I would like to see them ripe.

I.E: last week I picked Aji Habanero after it turned from yellow to orange, but it wasn't ripe yet, not sure how much I have to wait after it turns orange in color.

I'm not understanding the negative vibe from some of you more experienced growers...You think and talk and brag about your own plants/peppers on a daily basis. Now we're asking for you to show off a little more, with pictures and experience and knowlegde, and we get snubbed. When I signed up at this forum there wasn't a disclaimer that stated "for experienced growers only" . There are going to be a lot of us here asking questions and looking for help, and a thread about stages of ripeness in peppers makes a lot of sense and could be very helpful, considering there can be a big variation in colors and times that they change. I'll be posting some pictures very soon of the varieties I'm growing as I don't want to clutter this thread any further with non-relevant topics.
Lunchbox, I read you have quite a pretty black pearl plant, let's see it, with some info on the peppers it's producing, and how about those jalapenos, from green to black, I want to see these "heat stripes". They sound delicious

These jalapenos aren't ripe enough yet for my tastes but they give you an idea of another stage. You can see the "heat stripes" known as corking starting to develop. I'll let these go probably another week at least.... This is the common "M" variety.

082.jpg

I'm not understanding the negative vibe from some of you more experienced growers...You think and talk and brag about your own plants/peppers on a daily basis. Now we're asking for you to show off a little more, with pictures and experience and knowlegde, and we get snubbed. When I signed up at this forum there wasn't a disclaimer that stated "for experienced growers only" . There are going to be a lot of us here asking questions and looking for help, and a thread about stages of ripeness in peppers makes a lot of sense and could be very helpful, considering there can be a big variation in colors and times that they change. I'll be posting some pictures very soon of the varieties I'm growing as I don't want to clutter this thread any further with non-relevant topics.
Lunchbox, I read you have quite a pretty black pearl plant, let's see it, with some info on the peppers it's producing, and how about those jalapenos, from green to black, I want to see these "heat stripes". They sound delicious

I hear what you're saying. I hope I didn't come off as either negative, or experienced.

I'll submit Morouga Scorpion/TS-Morouga:

All 3 stages present; green, starting to ripen, and fully ripe when deep red.

561462_3230033643546_338752940_n.jpg

From left to right: Red Savina, Naga Morich, Morouga

382517_3230032083507_933900218_n.jpg

Back