• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how to you value compromised seedlings

if you purchase seedlings from a commercial grower and they are compromised, how do you value them? for example, if they have aphids ... if they have disease ...

certainly you shouldn't have to cure and rehab and treat purchased seedlings to be able to integrate them safely w/ your grow, right? ...

i feel like i've figured out why people start from seed, having trouble w/ hirt's, ccn, and piedmont ...

i'm NOT a picky/fussy customer - mostly because having to be that way ruins my enjoyment of any purchase - so i find it seriously disappointing that seedlings sold at $5.99 ea would come compromised ...

any thoughts? i'd love to hear some opinions ...

You can have issues with seeds as well, although they are no where near as bad provided you stick with the sellers who have very good reputations.

I've only bought live plants from Wally world so i can't say anything about certain growers/sellers... I do try to grow mostly from seeds... As for getting plants that had aphids and diseases... First give the grower a call and explain the situation, possibly the grower will give a refund or an exchange....

I've only bought live plants from Wally world so i can't say anything about certain growers/sellers... I do try to grow mostly from seeds... As for getting plants that had aphids and diseases... First give the grower a call and explain the situation, possibly the grower will give a refund or an exchange....

They have, sure ... but to have to complain seriously detracts from the overall experience for me ... I'm def continuing on the path of working entirely from seed ...

By starting from seed, in some ways you are exchanging one set of issues for another.

I prefer starting from seeds for sure though.

One personal pet peeve is that a number of the seeds I traded for earlier in the year, have turned out to be something other than what was promised (most commonly orange habs). In fact I just culled some tonight.

I have kept VERY close track of who I've traded with, what I received, what the germ rates are, and whether the seeds grew into what was promised or not. A hybrid is no big deal, an orange hab, when you are promised Trinidad scorpions, is a big deal.

I have skipped a few offers because they needed something that I didn't have at the moment... It hacks me off when people pack orange habs in place of whats promised.

urg.

I digress.

Smart move, keeping track of your trades,some of these "trade with anybody" threads, are just a way to end up with bad seeds.

yep....

ended up with about 75 "orange habanero" plants. According to my records, I only planted 20 orange habs from seed I saved from last year...

hot cow horn is another that is playing a prominent role in my garden, I planted 5, have 20+...

That's why I just say buy the seeds from vendors. Sure you come across the occasional problem...but they remedy it. You have the Vendor Vault to help you decide who is a company to deal with. I mean "Free" Seeds aren't really free. You have to pay for all of the SASBE's sent out. That is about 3 bucks right there at the least. Spring the little extra and order all at once. Most times you will get a bunch of freebies and the right seeds from the start. Think of all the money lost from the growing medium that was meant for another plant. In the end it is cost effective to just purchase the seed.

As to stay on topic. Can you be sure that the aphids were on the plants before you bought them? I mean they are pretty easy to see....is it at all possible that they came about afterwards? If you are for certain that they came with the plant, I would contact the company you bought it from and ask if their is any arrangement that can be made to rectify the situation. If they don't want to do anything about it. Really your only option is to post on here who you got them from so we can steer clear and report them to the BBB (Better Business Bureau)

Good luck. If you need some advice on ridding your aphid problem. Just ask. There are a few steps you can take to get rid of them with out pesticides.

As a former commercial grower of ornamental plants, I say they shouldn't even be selling those infested plants.

A 20-25% discount or credit for your trouble seems fair to me and I would have offered that to any of my customers with similar problems.

I posted in a vendor thread for piedmont an individualized letter that came w/ my full refund, where he refused to provide anything less than the full amount in the refund - even though i wanted him to at the very least deduct the shipping, since i would likely salvage a good portion of the plants through rehab ...

personally, i think the way this was handled was totally classy ...

the hirt's plants were healthy and free of pests but grew out to be cayenne, bell, color varying bhut, and c. annuum squash's instead of butch t, fatalli, yellow bhut, and scotch bonnet respectively ... that REALLY pissed me off ...

the troubled CCN plants worsened despite treatment and look ill ...

and in fact, the Piedmont plants are probably the most successful of the purchased seedlings all things considered, even though i'm holding off integrating them into my grow until they are DEFINITELY healthy and pest-free ...

to date, the best plant genetics are those mustard habanero that ajijoe's friend created, which have thrived and resisted BLS etc etc and are HOT ... damn hot, even ... and they came from Hirt's, so ...

yep....

ended up with about 75 "orange habanero" plants. According to my records, I only planted 20 orange habs from seed I saved from last year...

hot cow horn is another that is playing a prominent role in my garden, I planted 5, have 20+...

I might have to buy some more of your seasoning, running low and using it often ... see the drunken post thread or the sammy of the month thread for my recent debauchery ... is it available?

I posted in a vendor thread for piedmont an individualized letter that came w/ my full refund, where he refused to provide anything less than the full amount in the refund - even though i wanted him to at the very least deduct the shipping, since i would likely salvage a good portion of the plants through rehab ...

personally, i think the way this was handled was totally classy ...

the hirt's plants were healthy and free of pests but grew out to be cayenne, bell, color varying bhut, and c. annuum squash's instead of butch t, fatalli, yellow bhut, and scotch bonnet respectively ... that REALLY pissed me off ...

the troubled CCN plants worsened despite treatment and look ill ...

and in fact, the Piedmont plants are probably the most successful of the purchased seedlings all things considered, even though i'm holding off integrating them into my grow until they are DEFINITELY healthy and pest-free ...

to date, the best plant genetics are those mustard habanero that ajijoe's friend created, which have thrived and resisted BLS etc etc and are HOT ... damn hot, even ... and they came from Hirt's, so ...

I might have to buy some more of your seasoning, running low and using it often ... see the drunken post thread or the sammy of the month thread for my recent debauchery ... is it available?

Definitely :) I'm glad you enjoy it!

personally, I don't bring plants home from anywhere anymore and am also very picky about who comes in my back yard....especially if they are a grower...(humans can be vectors of pests too)

but....if I were to bring a plant home that was diseased and/or pest laden, I would trash it and never do business with that place again....but that's just me...it's hard enough to keep pests under control without any added outside influence...

personally, I don't bring plants home from anywhere anymore and am also very picky about who comes in my back yard....especially if they are a grower...(humans can be vectors of pests too)

but....if I were to bring a plant home that was diseased and/or pest laden, I would trash it and never do business with that place again....but that's just me...it's hard enough to keep pests under control without any added outside influence...

I can relate, lesson learned here ... will be evolving my process for future starts for sure!

Definitely :) I'm glad you enjoy it!

Where is it listed?

I had lessons learned from when I used to have a marine aquarium. Everything would be up and running great, and things would be happy. And then you make the wrong choice and put in something that has a speck of disease on it and nextt thing you know you are spending all of your time trying to fix the problem. Stuff happens, but it is always best to lesson the odds of bad things happening as much as possible. To me that means starting from seed, watching the seedlings closely, and sticking with well known vendors.

I had lessons learned from when I used to have a marine aquarium. Everything would be up and running great, and things would be happy. And then you make the wrong choice and put in something that has a speck of disease on it and nextt thing you know you are spending all of your time trying to fix the problem. Stuff happens, but it is always best to lesson the odds of bad things happening as much as possible. To me that means starting from seed, watching the seedlings closely, and sticking with well known vendors.

Been there, done that ... ugh, that's all I have to say.

Back