• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How would you layout this garden to get the most peppers planted?

Updated Pepper garden pics!

This will be the first time growing peepers. I have quit a bit of space to work with and have ordered about 10 plants that are 5-6" and already have 2 Bhut Jolokia and a few other varieties that are around 5-6". I do have some seeds that I'm going to try and harvest, but wanted to order some live plants just in case I don't get the seeds to grow. All the plants are still in pots under lights so I can start working on getting them outside when I have the garden area ready. I have successfully grown a few herbs, but I dug out about half of the dirt in the small area and replaced it with miracle soil first.

The planters I have to work with are only about 3' tall and are lined with plastic over cement. The dirt used is just plan dirt that was brought in and is very hard. As a result some of the plants I've tried to grow in the past didn't work out so that's why I thought of growing peppers as one side of the planter gets full sun for most of the day and the other side gets only a small amount of direct sun daily. Toward the back are 2 trees that provide a good amount of shade, but are not too bushy so the sun still has a chance to get through. On each side there is an eve with the hope of getting some vines to grow, but haven't had much luck so I was thinking about maybe hanging some plants in a topsy turvy??

Not sure what the best placement is for the peppers or if I can do 2 rows or if it's best just to do a single row. The only advantage is the entire garden area has built in sprinklers so I usually just turn them on whenever I need to water.

A few questions. Because the dirt is so hard will I have to dig it out or is it possible to just put some good soil on top of it? I have about 3-4" of space to add soil on top of the dirt as needed.

Should all the peppers be planted on the right side and the back where it gets full sun for most of the day or should some be setup on the left where it gets only a few hours of direct sun? Do certain types prefer light-medium sun or should I only use the space that gets full sun.

Since I live in Orange County California (a few miles from the beach) I was thinking about just cutting back the peppers each year for the winter since it never really gets too cold. Would this be possible or do I need to replant each year. I currently grow mint and usually just cut the plant back quit a bit around Oct-Nov and it sprouts right back up around Feb-Mar each just in time for the summer mojitos!

I've attached some pictures to show what I have to work work.

Here is a picture of the right side of the garden area that gets full sun. I've already dug out most of the old plants and will be removing the white flowering plant also shortly.
DSCN0362.jpg

full length view of the right side.
DSCN0363.jpg

close up of the dirt on the right side.
DSCN0364.jpg

full view of both side and the back area.
DSCN0365.jpg

Any and all suggestions on where to plant and how to get this area going is greatly appreciated!

left side view with some plants (any and all can be removed as needed) this area has mulch on the top of the soil
DSCN0366.jpg

back right area
DSCN0367.jpg

small herb area where the half the dirt was dug out and replaced with good soil
DSCN0368.jpg

close up view of area with herbs
DSCN0369.jpg

Can't help with the layout but in future you might want to start with not posting 1 meg images. I'm on a fairly high speed link and it took over 1.5 mins to load the page.

buggedcom said:
Can't help with the layout but in future you might want to start with not posting 1 meg images. I'm on a fairly high speed link and it took over 1.5 mins to load the page.

My apologies. I'll convert the files now. I forget that my internet connection is a LOT faster then most and it only took a few seconds to load the pictures.

no worries, everyone sometimes forgets. The only reason I said anything is that some people here are still on 56K apparently!

Looks like a nice garden though. Is it good for entertaining? I'm getting slightly bored of living in a city apartment.

Better but a tad small. I would stick to around 600 in width and 65 quality, that way the quality is still ok and the files are about 50-60kb. I'm a web developer by trade and optimize images all the live long day. Forgive me if I seem like I'm barking orders, I'm not trying to.

buggedcom said:
Better but a tad small. I would stick to around 600 in width and 65 quality, that way the quality is still ok and the files are about 50-60kb. I'm a web developer by trade and optimize images all the live long day. Forgive me if I seem like I'm barking orders, I'm not trying to.

Ok how's this? Instead of just changing the size of the file I decreased the quality down to about half and left the size big. I've been in IT for almost 20 years, but on the management side so i'm only somewhat useful with all the new software available. I still prefer to use wildcat BBS ;)

buggedcom said:
Looks like a nice garden though. Is it good for entertaining? I'm getting slightly bored of living in a city apartment.

It's actually a condo in the city. It's a small newer complex with a park in the back and these flower beds on the side. I own the corner unit so that's my window. We have gardners, but they don't do much outside of trim the trees and rack the leaves so why not make good use of the space.

My only suggestion would be to completely remove everything in the potential planting area, and then plant nothing but pepper plants. Of course, that is just me. hehe

superdv1 said:
My only suggestion would be to completely remove everything in the potential planting area, and then plant nothing but pepper plants. Of course, that is just me. hehe

That's what I'm hoping to do, but beause I've never grown peppers before i'm not sure if it's something I can do in the area provided. Still looking for answers on if the bed is deep enough because it's only about 3' high and if I can plant in the hard dirt currently in the bed or not. Plus i'm trying to find out if I can get 2 layers or if I should only use 1 layer. Still a lot of questions and concearns so not sure if it will work or not.

I'd stick the peppers on the side with the most sun. Go with one row, too tight of a space for two. Check the pH of your soil and see if you need to amend it. Maybe add a couple of bags of composted cow manure. Then plant them peppers, 24"-36" apart and watch 'em grow!

Best of luck to you!

I think you'll get about 40 or s in that great walled in pit you have!

Seriously (sorta)...

Keep in mind the size of the plant and access to it for gathering chillis! So, mabe habs in front of the window, coz they shouldnt turn into 5ft monsters, just 3ft ones.

If you are amending the soil, dig it in well and give it a bit of time to rest before planting.

Keep your precious ones away from places the cable guy, repair dude or anyone may need access to. Dont wanna come home and find that it's been dug up to repair the sewer line. I lost acouple of plants when i needed to move my gas meter.

RS

Thanks for the tips. The entire bed was dug up about 1/2 way down and turned over to repair a broken sprinkler head about 2 weeks ago and as a result they removed the few dying bushes leaving me the wide open space to work with. That's when one guy said you should plant peppers as they love the sun. I will take your advice in planting just one row instead of 2 and plant that habs by the window. I'll get a few bags of the cow manure as suggested. Does it matter what type or kind of manure or can I get a few hundred pounds from a friends cow farm? Also should I mix the manure into the dirt before the plants arrive or just add it to the top of the soil before planting. Not sure what pH the soil is, but I'll get some readings soon. Luckily there are no meters or boxes in the bed so I won't have to worry about the cable guy or meter maid. I ordered about 20 plants that are scheduled to arrive on the 20th of this month since I wasn't sure if I could get the seeds going fast enough.

Here is the list:
CEYENNE
BHUT JOLOKIA
WHITE HABANERO
HABANERO CHOCOLATE
INDONESIAN
ISLAND HELLFIRE
LAMUYO
OROZCO
ORTEGA
PCR PAPRIKA
PEPERONCINI
PERUVIAN SERLANO
SILING LABUYO
TRINIDAD SCORPION
WEST INDIAN RED

I haven't posted any updated pics of my 1rst year progress in several weeks so I snapped some quick shots of the work in progress. I started my seeds on May 1rst after reading a lot and getting supplies for a few weeks first. It's now about 2 months later and my first pods are forming! I can't believe it's been only 2 months since I put the seeds in the dirt! I did have the seeds under a MH for a few weeks to help the growth before I got them outside. I now have all, but 10 outside growing and by the looks of my Trinidad Scorpion I'll have to move 4 more out of the closet to the outside because it's growing and an amazing rate. I have a feeling it will end up being the only plant in the closet if it keeps growing out of control.

Here is a pic of the plants on 5-4-09 in 2" cups after being pulled out of the peat pucks. Most containers have 2 plants because I didn't expect to get almost all of them to sprout and just didn't have the amount of containers or space to dedicate a pot to each plant

JPB1%20016.jpg

Here are a few updated pics of the plants still in the closet. The fast growers where put outside and some of them where given away to make space.

garden%20001.jpg

garden%20002.jpg

garden%20003.jpg

Here are some updated pics of the garden area. The large potted plant was pulled and the space was used for a Jalapeno and cayenne that I got from the depot in case I killed all of the peppers I was growing.

garden%20014.jpg

garden%20015.jpg

garden%20016.jpg

Back