• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HPS vs T5 HO (which what I'm looking at)?

how many plants / what size sqft?

t5 is ok, yes it will produce pods. not as powerful as the hps ofc.

if you have a decent sized area and are looking to expand is better(in my opinion) to just get a 1000w de hps and call it a day they are best lumen/$/watt and easy to maintain.
if not and want to keep it small then t5 or led are probably better.

juanitos said:
how many plants / what size sqft?

t5 is ok, yes it will produce pods.
not as powerful as the hps. if you have a decent sized area and are looking to expand is better to just get a 1000w de hps and call it a day. if not and want to keep it small then t5 or led are probably better.

2ft x 2ft, its going to be around 4 +/- 1 plants that are trained/topped/pruned to around 10" or so.

And gotcha!

I've posted this in other threads as well, not my picture, but I'll be picking one of these up this fall hopefully. Quantum Badboy T5HO...

8478c167e7780da5e1f397d49a96c527.jpg

U)<now said:
I've posted this in other threads as well, not my picture, but I'll be picking one of these up this fall hopefully. Quantum Badboy T5HO...

8478c167e7780da5e1f397d49a96c527.jpg

What are you using to grow them in?

Well that pic is not mine as I said. That was from another member, frogger or something like that. But, I have overwintered a few plants before just in dirt with T8's they grow a bit, but nothing crazy. This year, I would like to actually grow maybe 6 plants indoors, not just overwinter, and possibly try a hydro setup.

U)<now said:
Well that pic is not mine as I said. That was from another member, frogger or something like that. But, I have overwintered a few plants before just in dirt with T8's they grow a bit, but nothing crazy. This year, I would like to actually grow maybe 6 plants indoors, not just overwinter, and possibly try a hydro setup.

Whoops, my bad. Was replying on my phone and read through it pretty fast. Best of luck to you! I'll be trying to grow around 3-5 plants (keeping them pretty small) and I'm just curious to how much they'll produce.

willard3 said:
HID lamps will produce fruit less expensively than fluorescent of any kind.

Do you have any fixtures that you would recommend? I'm just a bit nervous that they'd be quite a bit more.

Would you say this one is good for a 2ft x 2ft area containing 4-5 plants?
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89339/SUN-900490.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=SUN-900490&utm_content=HPS+and+MH+All+in+One+Systems&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=CJvgk8PhvM4CFQiJaQodxcgOcA#BVRRWidgetID

juanitos said:
ah yeah then t5 is just fine.

Fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/T5-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00NMY4IWC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
Total Watts allowed: 144

Lights:
https://www.1000bulb...ml#BVRRWidgetID 24 Watts 6500k
https://www.1000bulb...ml#BVRRWidgetID 24 Watts 3000k
Total watts from bulbs: 144

Is this okay? If need be I can bump up to a 8 bulb, but if this is efficient, I'd rather go with this as I don't have too much money to spare. Thanks!

i know you said 2x2 but a 4' t8 shoplight would be cheaper.
for growing 4x2x4 area u can get 2x t8 shoplight for 40$ + set of bulbs for another 20ish $.
iif not the setup you posed is just fine.

yes i sell starter plants in april/may, will have list up at the end of this year.

juanitos said:
for growing 4x2x4 area u can get 2x t8 shoplight for 40$ + set of bulbs for another 20ish $.

yes i sell starter plants in april/may, will have list up at the end of this year.

Thanks! That looks like a great deal! Would that be enough to get the peppers to pod? I might be overthinking things but don't they need 3,000+ lumens per sq ft to produce peppers?

juanitos said:

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I am looking into the same light for a shelf set up. What kind of lumens could be expected from this fixture? I looked in the specs and didn't see it.  

cdubb2010 said:
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I am looking into the same light for a shelf set up. What kind of lumens could be expected from this fixture? I looked in the specs and didn't see it.
check the lumens on the bulbs (as it can vary between mfg). there are 2 fixtures, 2 bulb in each fixutre = 4 x 2800 = 11,200 lumen

Back