• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Humidity Domes

Domes are not essential, but help keep the humidity and temp more stable when sprouting. You can sprout in anything that keeps stuff moist and warm. The tough part is to choose when to take them out and put in a less humid environment, you do not want mold, fungus. or rot to form. Usually I put them in the air when Tyler said, once the sprout pops up and looks like its about to lose the seed cap. Hopefully the seed cap is moist enough that it will fall off or you can take it off easy b4 it dries again. After they sprout you can still use domes or enclose the plants it is nice to have a more stable humidity and temp, but you really should air them out frequently to avoid dampening off. Good luck!

i was planning to seed in a plastic storage box with a lid, electric blanket under the box (can't find a germination mat in japan for the life of me!).. i think it should be alright. noted about bringing them out in the air. i'm probably gonna bottom water as well to stop damping off

Domes are not essential, but help keep the humidity and temp more stable when sprouting. You can sprout in anything that keeps stuff moist and warm. The tough part is to choose when to take them out and put in a less humid environment, you do not want mold, fungus. or rot to form. Usually I put them in the air when Tyler said, once the sprout pops up and looks like its about to lose the seed cap. Hopefully the seed cap is moist enough that it will fall off or you can take it off easy b4 it dries again. After they sprout you can still use domes or enclose the plants it is nice to have a more stable humidity and temp, but you really should air them out frequently to avoid dampening off. Good luck!

So you mentioned the seed caps, I'm having trouble with that, my sprouts come up and the seed cap is still completely covering the top of the sprout. Is there something I can do or am I doing something wrong?

You could probably bury them a little deeper so the seed cap gets pulled off with the dirt when it's pulling through, otherwise, I just wet mine down really good and very gently pull them off.

are humidity domes essential?

This is an interesting question. As BadPants correctly points out above, the domes are not essential. In fact, I have had as much succes sprouting seedlings without the domes provided I keep the soil moist - don't let it dry out. In fact, I'm a big believer in doing things to prevent mold and fungus so I often go at germinating without the dome. I keep fans going in my germination area 24 X 7.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

Back