• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Humidity

What is a good humidity level for an indoor grow room? Right now in my tent the humidity level is 27% and I'm thinking this is affecting my flowers. I'm having a lot of flowers dropping and not setting pods. The temps are around 80° so i don't think it's temp related. Any input would be appreciated.

Are you hand pollinating when pollen is at its highest presence? If not it should really help
You can either stick a humidifier in your grow room or put a bucket of water or two in there instead of the humidifier.
I would say a good humidity level would be in the 60-75% range, but 40%+ is ok

Not yet it's just some older plants and they seem to drop alot of flowers. On the new plants i will hand pollinate but these were just some I'm fooling around with. Might cross my Dorset Naga with one of my Chocolate Habaneros and see what happens lol.

I'll stick a bucket in there with a air pump hooked up and see what happens.

It was my experience last winter that my chinense plants didn't produce pollen in the winter months in the basement. Probably due to the dry air. Then annuums whoever had no such issues.

My solution: use the annuums to pollinate the chinense.

So far, I am seeing the same thing this year. the habs and bhuts that are flowering don't seem to have pollen but the jalapeno and thai pepper sure do.

I'm seeing the same thing my jalapeño and Habaneros were having no problems but the others are. I'm going to do like megahot suggested and put a bucket in there to raise the humidity and see what happens.

What is a good humidity level for an indoor grow room? Right now in my tent the humidity level is 27% and I'm thinking this is affecting my flowers. I'm having a lot of flowers dropping and not setting pods. The temps are around 80° so i don't think it's temp related. Any input would be appreciated.
What's up rebel!?

Blossom drop is common under these three conditions:

* The blossom was not pollinated. (blossom drop due to this is rarely the case).

* too much nitrogen in your nutrient solution.

* Dry arid / windy conditions.

I can almost guarantee that your blossom dropping problem is related to your lack of humid air.

Peppers generally do the best in 50-60% Relative humidity.

Add a cheap cool most vaporizer to your grow area. Make sure you have fans moving the humid air around. Are you in an enclosed growing area? If so, a fan speed controller attached to your exhaust blower is a great way to control humidity.

Hope this helps!

theliveculture said:
What's up rebel!?Blossom drop is common under these three conditions:* The blossom was not pollinated. (blossom drop due to this is rarely the case).* too much nitrogen in your nutrient solution.* Dry arid / windy conditions.I can almost guarantee that your blossom dropping problem is related to your lack of humid air.Peppers generally do the best in 50-60% Relative humidity.Add a cheap cool most vaporizer to your grow area. Make sure you have fans moving the humid air around. Are you in an enclosed growing area? If so, a fan speed controller attached to your exhaust blower is a great way to control humidity.Hope this helps!
Hey buddy Yea it's in my tent in the house. I have plenty of air circulation just really low humidity. That has to be the problem they don't get much nitrogen i have these bigger ones on pure blend pro bloom.

Yea, I am pretty certain your looking at classic humidity problems.

A bucket of water will only raise your humidity a few percent at best.

If your pinching pennies, you can get a bucket of water with some bleach solution mix to keep the water sterile.

Drop a towel inside and get it thoroughly wet.

build a frame to hold the towel open slightly and hanging vertically in to the bucket. The towel will wick water.

Point a fan at the towel.

BOOM! Ghetto humidifier!

I use a cool mist vaporizer. I have a few walgreens brand machines.

Water tank lasts approximately 12 hours if you run it non stop.

They will raise humidity to 80% RH in a 4x4 if you have nothing controlling it.

Maybe use a timer if you have no environmental controllers.

rebelgrower3 said:
Sounds good i have a timer I'll hook it up to. After Christmas I'm going to get either a CAP or Greenair controller just not sure which one yet.

I have the C.A.P. Air-4. I like it! Realize this though, the controller side for humidity controls a dehumidifier not a humidifier. That is for all the C.A.P. Air products

Jeff H said:
It was my experience last winter that my chinense plants didn't produce pollen in the winter months in the basement. Probably due to the dry air. Then annuums whoever had no such issues.

My solution: use the annuums to pollinate the chinense.

So far, I am seeing the same thing this year. the habs and bhuts that are flowering don't seem to have pollen but the jalapeno and thai pepper sure do.
Can you be more specific please?
I also have annuums and chinese,humidity is ~30% and annuums are doing fine,but chinese keeps droping flowers.
You say its enough to polinate chinese with annuums?

I think Jeff is saying the annuum pollen may not be as sensitive to humidity. Most chinense come from a more tropical environment.

rebelgrower3 said:
I think Jeff is saying the annuum pollen may not be as sensitive to humidity. Most chinense come from a more tropical environment.
I thought he found a solution to pollinate chinese even in dry conditions.

Anyway i tried humidify small grow box with wet towel.But since room is ventilated humidity increased 1%.
So i bought ultrasonic mist humidifier . Theese goes ~10 usd with PSU on Ebay.Of course you will need timer and RH meter to control humidity...

Hey I might be a. Little bit late on this one lol but, a bucket or a pot of boiling water with a fan on it will do the trick. Ive been having humidity problems myself aswell. My thermometer says my RH is at 20% I put a pot of boiling water in for a couple mins and it went up to 40 % then I took it out. Im sure you could get it higher if it was in longer.

I'm a little late to the party on this one and as usual...my suggestion is a bit overkill but that's what I do, I over engineer things.   I bought a misting system for aquariums a while back and its worked really well for my tomato plants I grew inside.  It keeps the humidity up and can work as an auto-watering system.  They are a bit pricey at around $90 on amazon but they are worth it in my opinion.  I'm sure you could rig a similar system up using a pump, vinyl tubing, and misters.  A couple of short sprays a day keeps the humidity up where I need it and I don't have to worry about it.

Misting System

Thanks

rebelgrower3 said:
I ended up buying a cool mist humidifier and my humidity went from 27% to 52% so we'll see how this works out.

That should work just fine.  You could easily hook everything up to a cheapo development board like an arduino and have it cut power to the system on or off based on desired humidity.  Timers work but don't account for existing humidity levels.  I automate anything and everything that I can so sorry for going off topic.

I'll be sure to check your Glog for updates on how the system is working.

Back