• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Humus

Over here we have something called "Abono de lombriz", which translates directly to earthworm fertilizer. I have bought it and strangely enough there is not one earthworm in it! It is as you describe, soilish but fluffier. Kind of like whipped soil, if I make any sense (but no earthworms)

andres said:
Over here we have something called "Abono de lombriz", which translates directly to earthworm fertilizer. I have bought it and strangely enough there is not one earthworm in it! It is as you describe, soilish but fluffier. Kind of like whipped soil, if I make any sense (but no earthworms)
That's vermicompost. worms produce it, they're not part of it. :lol:
If done correctly, a fully decomposed vermicompost is indeed Humus.

Omri,

If all of the nutrients have been completely broken down and there are no nuttients in the humus, and there is nothing to break down any further, what good is humus except to change the soil composition?

It reads to me that humus, or whatever stores want to sell as humus, that contains organic materials that will be absorbed and used by a plant, would be more beneficial???

Mike

wordwiz said:
Omri,

If all of the nutrients have been completely broken down and there are no nuttients in the humus, and there is nothing to break down any further, what good is humus except to change the soil composition?

It reads to me that humus, or whatever stores want to sell as humus, that contains organic materials that will be absorbed and used by a plant, would be more beneficial???

Mike
The nutrients plants need are not organic. for them to use the nutrients available in the organic matter, that matter should first decompose/break down. this will only occur with the help of microbes and/or a type of animal, thus not the entire amount of nutrients is available and the plant needs to wait for further decomposing. this process also changes the pH level, and not very good for plants.
Humus is all the inorganic nutrients the plant needs, already broken down and also is neutral (pH 7).

Omri,

This is an ealier post from you that I am trying to undestand as to how humus helps in growing:
In soil science, humus refers to any organic matter which has reached a point of stability, where it will break down no further and might, if conditions do not change, remain essentially as it is for centuries, if not millennia.

Okay, if it will not break down any further and will remain essentially the same for centuries, are you saying plants can suck stuff from it without changing its composition?

Mike

I'll simplify it for you.
Imagine a huge chunk of cheese and for you to eat it, first someone should come and start crumbling it.
A healthy organic matter is a whole chunk, and compost is a whole one with people already starting to crumble it. well compost is nice, but eventually you'll run out and need to wait for them to finish some more work. Humus is the chunk, just already in crumbs. all of it. also without the noise and mess of the workers. ;)

wordwiz said:
Okay, if it will not break down any further and will remain essentially the same for centuries, are you saying plants can suck stuff from it without changing its composition?

Mike

i think he meant it wouldn't change if it just sat there...

Wow Omri... you do know your humus. So, how do you know if this vermicompost is already fully broken down. I don't know about your neck of the woods but over here it's a bit expensive ($3-4 a 5lb bag)

Omri said:
I'll simplify it for you.
Imagine a huge chunk of cheese and for you to eat it, first someone should come and start crumbling it.
A healthy organic matter is a whole chunk, and compost is a whole one with people already starting to crumble it. well compost is nice, but eventually you'll run out and need to wait for them to finish some more work. Humus is the chunk, just already in crumbs. all of it. also without the noise and mess of the workers. ;)

Omri,

If I follow your analogy correctly, once I eat all the cheese (or the plants do!) the humus and its value is gone?

What does it become - just regular soil with a neutral ph?

Mike

wordwiz said:
Omri,

If I follow your analogy correctly, once I eat all the cheese (or the plants do!) the humus and its value is gone?

What does it become - just regular soil with a neutral ph?

Mike
Obviously the nutritional value is not endless, just like any other fertilizer. when "cleaned out", you get top soil. :)
Just that it takes a while. usually a medium to large pot with 1/4-1/3 part Humus will be enough for the entire year and maybe even more (depends on the size of pot).
andres said:
Wow Omri... you do know your humus. So, how do you know if this vermicompost is already fully broken down. I don't know about your neck of the woods but over here it's a bit expensive ($3-4 a 5lb bag)
Ouch, that's a lot.
If it doesn't smell, it usually means you're ok. you could always make some your own. not only free, but can save ya some money too. trays for the worms and put all your organic waste there. :)

OK...seriously..psssssss "WHERE DO I BUY HUMUS in States ?"
Went to walmart, Lowes, HD..no freaking HUMUS.

Help Here... :shocked:

wordwiz said:
Sanj,

My neighbor said he bought his at WalMart but maybe it's a local thing? He shops in Maysville, KY.

Mike

My local Walmart guy told me that the Peat moss is the Humus.. :rolleyes:
. Idiot.

Well there is peat humus too, but most peat that you buy is sphamnum.

"Peat humus originates from hypnum moss, reed sedge peat, or woody peat. It is in such an advanced state of decomposition that the original plant remains cannot be identified. Peat humus is dark-brown to black with a low moisture-holding capacity. Unlike the other peats, it contains a small amount of nitrogen (2 to 3.5 percent). Peat humus, also known as black peat or Michigan peat, is quite heavy compared to the other peats. Its pH varies greatly (from 4 to 8), and it is characteristically sticky when wet."
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets2/landsnurs/jan91pr5.html

POTAWIE said:
Well there is peat humus too, but most peat that you buy is sphamnum.

"Peat humus originates from hypnum moss, reed sedge peat, or woody peat. It is in such an advanced state of decomposition that the original plant remains cannot be identified. Peat humus is dark-brown to black with a low moisture-holding capacity. Unlike the other peats, it contains a small amount of nitrogen (2 to 3.5 percent). Peat humus, also known as black peat or Michigan peat, is quite heavy compared to the other peats. Its pH varies greatly (from 4 to 8), and it is characteristically sticky when wet."
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets2/landsnurs/jan91pr5.html
It's not stable, meaning it's not Humus. ;)

i got mine from the local hydro store. and then they asked me if i was growing pot. dude looked embarrassed when i said it was for african violets.

GrumpyBear said:
i got mine from the local hydro store. and then they asked me if i was growing pot. dude looked embarrassed when i said it was for african violets.

GB,

At least you didn't get a "yeah, right," wink, wink.

Ironically, a few months ago I posted about a fire that took two fire fighters' lives due to faulty wiring for grow lights. They were growing African Violets, as well as pot. The pot was in a different room and different circuit and they managed to escape everything except a cultivation charge.

Mike

Back