• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hurricane Precautions

So yesterday I experienced my first ever earthquake in what I thought was eathquakeless VA. Now I'm reading that big beatutiful hurricane Irene may send lots of rain and wind our way on Sunday. So this question goes out to my fellow Floridians who are used to growing peppers in hurricane alley. Are there any precautions I should take to ensure my season doesn't get cut short? Should I stake my unstaked plants? Move my potted peppers indoors? Thanks in advance for any help.

First things first. Stock the fridge with plenty of beer and have a generator to run it. If the power goes down this becomes the planning you become most proud of.

As far as plants go. Bring what you can inside. Then have a plan for what must stay outside. Wait as long as possible to see if the storm is actually going to affect you. The forecasts are VERY inaccurate. Worst case may be that you have to do some serious pruning to avoid wind damage.

Do not forget lots of propane ice and gas. All things you really need to keep that beer cold and your gut full. :beer:

As for the inground plants buy as many stakes as you can and tie them down. Maybe ask your significant other to stay beside them during the worst part of the storm and hold them up as well! :lol:

As you can see us Floridians are not the best people to ask for advice. :cool:

As you can see us Floridians are not the best people to ask for advice. :cool:

That's the truth. What the hell does "Mandatory evacuation" mean? And, why are we the only people around when the storm comes? Just when your lookin' for a drinking buddy everyone decides to leave town. :crazy:

Hey folks, just a service announcement for my fellow chili heads....
I've seen a lot of pics on FB showing empty shelves at stores that have run out of bottled water.
This morning I went to Staples (but try any office store) and they had a TON of bottled water. These places open early and have very good deal on cases of bottled water.

After you've braced your garden plants and bring in your containers, visit my PEPPERMEISTER blog for growing tips, recipes and chile info.

Stay Safe People.

i heard on the news that some places wont be selling any beer because of this storm.. that sucks, what else is there to do whan your stuck inside??

I just figured it would be futile with 80mph winds so I am doing nothing. I am sure my plants are going to be destroyed at which point I will probably be in this state of mind. Haha...

I just figured it would be futile with 80mph winds so I am doing nothing. I am sure my plants are going to be destroyed at which point I will probably be in this state of mind. Haha...

I have a rectangular section of my rarer and prized plants. I pounded one metal stake in each corner, wrapped thick rope around it in a way that they give support to the outer most branches. They'll be able to whip around inwards but that's it.

If all works out well then i'll use the same metal stakes to support clear plastic, a makeshift greenhouse to protect from frost and hopefully extend my harvest into October.

Crossing my fingers for some survivors, hopefully we just get hit with tropical storm stuff with "only" 50mph winds.

Stakes and string. Tie tie tie. I hope it all works out. You have many rare ones that must survive.

I lived in Palm Beach, Fl for 40 yrs ... now I have to protect my 72 Trinis from a freaking Hurricane affecting the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia ... It's begun too, 2 feeder bands already ... it's crazy :crazy:

hurr.jpg

I love hurricanes!
My Hurricane attire consist of

Swiming trunks and beer coozies.

But Like said before propane and water.
stakes wont help the wind will just rip all the leaves off.
Try to incorporate a barrier of some sort.
stakes and some heavy duty seran wrap might work if you fold the plant up and wrap it like a christmass tree comes in the trucks.
Good luck wish she would have made it my way.

When i was a kid i remember using a sheet as a sail on my skateboard when Hurricane Andrew was blowing through

I love hurricanes!
My Hurricane attire consist of

Swiming trunks and beer coozies.

But Like said before propane and water.
stakes wont help the wind will just rip all the leaves off.
Try to incorporate a barrier of some sort.
stakes and some heavy duty seran wrap might work if you fold the plant up and wrap it like a christmass tree comes in the trucks.
Good luck wish she would have made it my way.

When i was a kid i remember using a sheet as a sail on my skateboard when Hurricane Andrew was blowing through
Didn't think about the leaves, oh well i guess. There are barriers on two sides and a home on a 3rd side a few feet away, but i can still picture the wind whipping right through. Hopefully the storm blows out to sea a tad more, too many old trees and similar stuff in the northeast, it's an area not used to having high speed winds.

I remember seeing the carnage of Hurricane Andrew, 2 years later that is. State Farm messed that one up going by all of the graffiti i saw spray painted on the unrepaired homes.

Good luck and stay safe to everyone affected, especially those near the eye and in flood prone areas.

Back