• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Husk cherry and GOJI seeds ?

My Goji plant arrived today, I'll post a photo later as I had to run back to the office... it looks in good shape, and there were a couple runners sticking out of the pot so I snipped them off and repotted them. It looks like it's a plant that'd be *very* easy to propagate by cuttings, since there are roots hanging off of the stem five inches off the ground...

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the lanceolate leaf and the more rounded-leaf varieties, but mine is the latter taken from the plants naturalized within the United States. Apparently they are very weedy, so I'll probably keep mine in a pot for now.

I realize you're looking for seeds, but here's the plant I bought, in a gallon pot (it came in a quart size). Overpriced when you consider that they grow wild in many areas of the country, but the advantage to buying plants is that most of the nurseries that stock them select for particularly productive strains (at least, according to them... :think: )

IMGP3116.jpg

(I probably should have just spent the extra 5 dollars and went for the gallon size, which is 30 dollars including shipping)

I did grow Andee berries aka physialis peruvanis last year,
they took forever to germinate, stayed tiny, did not grow after I put them in the garden,
and then, suddenly they bolted
grew 8ft tall, stems broke a lot, got lot's of blooms and started berries,
never ripened, tho,
they are fery sensitive to frost
I chopped off and overwintered some and planted back outside lats week,
they are growing like weeds now
we shall see what happens this year
I plan to Florida weave them, in hopes they will not fall victim to the slightest bit of wind
with the super early start ...
I'll keep you updated

got some Goji in January, for now they are very small bushes

My gojis are growing pretty much straight up, not bushing out at all. Anyone know if I should pinch the tops or something?

OK, according to this they should be kept well pruned
"The goji berry grows into a large shrub reaching heights of 7-10 feet with vines that can reach 10 feet. Pruning of the main stem and branches will keep the plant shorter, thicker and help with increased flowering and fruit production"
http://bc-goji-berry-nursery-plants.blogspot.ca/

I moved them all outdoors and all but one died. Its days are numbered though. It looked good but lately it seems to be going downhill. I think I have some ripe enough to harvest seeds. I'll grow indoors once it cools down.

This sucks.

Hammerfall, did the seeds I sent germinate? I may hit you up for some seeds.

here is what i have so far, started from seed. i am only feeding them a mild seaweed tea that i make but may venture into GH flora - though the goji's are in soil but what the hell, GH is making my dwc plants monsterous.

i know nothing about caring for goji, my outside plants are over 20 years old, i do know propagation is usually by shooting off the main root. though i did grow a few of them from seed last year, the ones i sowed are still in sleep mode as, well, you know....canada.....mountains.....cold....snow.....frozen ground!

i am going to have to start another dwc, as i can't fit anymore in my current setup, i may move 2 into my new setup, but i find the seedlings so very fragile and don't want to kill them.

HPIM2006.jpg

Nice... it does seem like the sort of thing that would be very easy to propogate once you have a plant going. The plant that was shipped to me had a couple runners that were sticking out of the pot with their own roots that I just snipped off and repotted, they're doing fine now...

My gojis are growing pretty much straight up, not bushing out at all. Anyone know if I should pinch the tops or something?

OK, according to this they should be kept well pruned
"The goji berry grows into a large shrub reaching heights of 7-10 feet with vines that can reach 10 feet. Pruning of the main stem and branches will keep the plant shorter, thicker and help with increased flowering and fruit production"
http://bc-goji-berry...ts.blogspot.ca/

Makes sense... in the 2+ weeks I've had my plant it has been doing pretty much the same thing, shooting up with no outward growth. Guess I'll need to take the clippers to it...

ok my husk have sprout and getting bigger each day (those are very tiny at first!)

still havent had any goji. might order some at Jhonny seeds or other's like that.. ive seen some for sale.

I realize you're looking for seeds, but here's the plant I bought, in a gallon pot (it came in a quart size). Overpriced when you consider that they grow wild in many areas of the country, but the advantage to buying plants is that most of the nurseries that stock them select for particularly productive strains (at least, according to them...
think.gif
)

IMGP3116.jpg

(I probably should have just spent the extra 5 dollars and went for the gallon size, which is 30 dollars including shipping)

Wow yours looks a lot different than mine. Mine looks more like this:
GojiBerry.jpg

The leaves are kind of grayish and more lanceolate than yours. Where did you order yours? I think mine came from onegreeworld, but I can't remember for sure, it's a Crimson Star like the one in this picture. It's about 4-5 feet tall but the stems are thin. I think I should prune it because it's a little frail looking. It looks pretty healthy but the stems are a little long and gangly. No fruit yet, hopefully I'll get a few this year but probably not until next year.

I thought the leaves on mine were parallel and uniform like a walnut tree's leaves but maybe I'm imagining that. :think:

Wow yours looks a lot different than mine. Mine looks more like this:
The leaves are kind of grayish and more lanceolate than yours. Where did you order yours? I think mine came from onegreeworld, but I can't remember for sure, it's a Crimson Star like the one in this picture. It's about 4-5 feet tall but the stems are thin. I think I should prune it because it's a little frail looking. It looks pretty healthy but the stems are a little long and gangly. No fruit yet, hopefully I'll get a few this year but probably not until next year.

I thought the leaves on mine were parallel and uniform like a walnut tree's leaves but maybe I'm imagining that. :think:

I ordered mine from Botany Shop and Garden Center, in Joplin, MO of all places. From their website: "The plant we specialize in, Lycium barbarum L, was brought from China in 1949 via Guangdong Province, where the family lived, via Macaua, Hong Kong, Canada and ended up in Southwest Missouri where the family finally settled."

The leaves are definitely different from the lanceolate ones you mention and I find around the 'net. I'll be curious to see what it's like as it grows...

Haven't seen any aphids on mine yet. There were probably hundreds of aphids on the aronia/black chokeberry right next to it last year though, and aronia are supposed to be pest free. :think:

Back