• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydro nutrient help

Hello, I'm currently growing 4 Bhut Jolokia plants in a 4x4 tent in my garage and need some advice on when to change my nutrients for the fruiting stage. They are currently flowering and I have started to pollinate with a fine brush over the past week. The following is my set-up.

Incredigrow 1-2-5 1ml/litre of water
Incrediblend 2-0-0 1ml/litre of water
Also use a bit of the Sea Horse kelp concentrate
I start with 5gal RO and 15gal tap water, 150pmm
80 litre resevoir running 400ppm nutrient at 5.8-6.0ph and 19c or so (68-70F) temp
800 gph pump, running continuous flow, gravity drain
Plants are in 2.5gal buckets with 6" air stone in each

4x4 Secret Jardin grow tent (awesome!)
600 watt HPS in air cooled hood
14hr on 10hr off
fan on floor for air flow

Hand pollinating
Plants are about 18" tall now and can go to about 40" before they hit the light

Basically I want to know when to change the nutrients and amount of light for optimal growth of my peppers, thanks!

pepper plants are not like ganja, you can use the same ratio all the way through. and add certain things at the sign of deficiencies. i use General hydro flora nova "bloom" in my hydro and also use grow and bloom for my other plants. but my brain strain planted in DWC last Sept has been fed nothing but the "bloom" with PH adjusted water and aqua sheild. and it is a MONSTER(http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26940-spongeys-2012-grow/page__st__200) so you can use the same stuff from start to finish.

Oh, I see. Doesn't matter what you say to these guys at the grow store, they assume you are growing only 1 thing! Thanks, I will modify my nutrients next time I flush the system.

yeah, you talk to hydro guys and refer to "peppers" LOL until i took them some pods they thought the same thing, then their tone and advice changed and i have taught them a few lessons on growing veggies. good luck, look forward to seeing your plants! i love hydro, i wish i could turn our 3rd bedroom into a grow room, but the wife says NOPE!

I agree, hydroponics is great! I grew up on a small farm and we always had a great garden full of wonderful veggies and berries. 2 acres or so I guess. I've been living in the city now for quite a few years and hydro is a great way to get growing some stuff again. Looking forward to my fall "Hot Night" with friends, we get together and drink and eat, also sample the mashes, sauces, fresh peppers.

So what I'll mix up next for nutrients will be 5-6-9, what do you think about this ratio?

By the way, San Diego was great, was there about a year ago for work, really enjoyed it.

that ratio will be fine, i also keep my ppm under 750ish, i love it here, i live 1/4 mile from mission bay can see sea world fireworks from the living room

Back