• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hydro question

wordwiz said:
Here's the lighting my hydro system in under: 112 10mm red and blue LEDs. My light meter reads agout 1550 Lux at the plant canopy. The back, left plant is a White Beauty tom, in front of it is a Limon. The back right is a Thai Dragon and the fron right plant is a Giant Belgium tom. It was nighttime when I took the picture.

Mike

I've been looking at a LED setup since my last power bill came in $300 more than the previous one in the last 3 months.

Do you have any information on the strength of the LED's at all? I know some people keep saying that a HID lamp is more efficient over time, but if I can get 2 or 3 45W LED lamps happening in my grow tent, and they actually work, I'm more than happy to turf my 600W HID gear.

MilkMan,

I don't know what the bulb wattage is on the light pictured. It's also hard to find out the specs for each bulb, as I don't know who manufactured the light. Web sites are not specific either, listing bulbs at have 1500-2500 mcd (millicandelas) and a viewing angle of 100 degrees, producing about 5.6 lumens per bulb.

The light above will cover about 30 inches square and produce about 1550 Lux from three feet away. I have smaller lights, they use 3mm bulbs that cover 14 inches square. They are bluer in intensity but produce only about 1300 Lux from eight inches away. I switched from CFLs to the LEDs for my seedlings and was quite happy.

As for the power used - the big light uses 45 watts, the smaller one 13. Plus, only blue and red light is emitted. No green, amber or yellow, so no wasted energy.

I hope to get another three of the large lights and raise some Mizuna and leaf lettuce to sell this winter.

Mike

Back