• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydro?

Hi,

Was thinking of getting my feet wet on doing a hydro grow. What would be the best type for growing peppers - nft, dwc, flood & drain or drip?

I will buy a whole kit rather than try to make one myself. I am leaning towards NFT - something like a grotank from Nutriculture for 3-5 plants. Will it hold 4 habanero/super hots? I like NFT for the fact that it doesn't use any medium for holding the plant (other than the rockwool cube). 

I will not be using bio nutrients and don't really want an aero setup; and one last question... can I start the seeds this summer for hydro, or should I wait for the next season? 

Thanks!

NFT's do not work very well with peppers mainly due to the fact that they grow too big for a NFT rail. Growing big pepper plants in hydroton expanded clay is hard enough getting support to a large top heavy plant and just a single rockwool cube will definitely not handle the weight of a pepper plant. DWC is the best way to grow peppers as a very mature plant will be consuming over a gallon of water every 2-3 days and have a root ball the size of the whole 5 gallon bucket. NFT works amazing but is best suited for lettuce, broccoli, kale and other smaller vegetables.

I prefered NFT because it had no medium for me to worry about. For the others I have to get some Clay Pellets with the hydroponic setup/kit.

Never really did understand the DWC. How high does the water have to be in the reservoir? Do you have to move the plant to a bigger/deeper reservoir when it groes?

Thanks!

The water stays about half an inch below the net pot. If you want a ready to go kit, the general hydroponic water farm is a great way to start. It has a water level gauge, large pot to hold lots of hydroton, it comes with hydroton and a starter pack of general hydroponic flora series of nutrients and an air pump. Doesn't use as much water as a 5 gallon bucket with net pot and is a top drip dwc which really works well especially since at the beginning, the roots will not be in the reservoir. Check it out for sure.  Very cheap way to wet your toes.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/systems/waterfarm/waterfarm_individual/

I know they call it a drip hydroponic system but it operates both ways because as the roots grow out the bottom into the reservoir, it becomes a dwc also.

DWC for sure... you can look at our grow log or blog here at THP to see some examples...
NFT will not work for growing a pepper plant to maturity.
0302.jpg

alphahydrodwcroots11.jpg

datilinalphahydrodwc112.jpg

alphahydrodwcstretch.jpg

datilsripening.jpg

nft doesn't have to be on a skinny rail or in a tube of pipe.

I've got nft chilies going in bath tubs, you do have to use a growing medium though.

DWC is probably the cheapest to set up with the least growing medium used. The only problem I have with dwc is maintenance is a pain in the ass. Adjusting water that the roots are in can be hard to access. All depends on your setup.

My dwc carolina reaper
P1030883_zpsef23e064.jpg

NFT Brain strain, reaper and red rocotto and in an acme tank. And in the back ground in nft bathtubs I have other chilies and some other plants.
P1030741_zps83f2b962.jpg

P1030244.jpg

DWC is probably the cheapest to set up with the least growing medium used. The only problem I have with dwc is maintenance is a pain in the ass. Adjusting water that the roots are in can be hard to access. All depends on your setup.

I agree, that is why I decided on a drip system for the summer. way less maintenance with only 1 reservoir. 

IMAG0267.jpg

20130530_192850.jpg

They all were in DWC containers earlier this year when they were indoors. 

Thank you for all your answers!

If I go DWC I think I will most likely go the DIY route. Just get some 20l buckets (5 gal) with lid, some net pots, clay pellets and an aquarium pump; or do I have to use something else instead of the net pots?

And one other question... if I go DWC, is it better to start the seedlings in 10l buckets first and move them to 20l after a while? Or isn't that big of a difference (just more water/nutrients I have to use)?

Back