• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hydrogen Peroxide for sprouts

google or go towww.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide they have mixing charts you can print. for a cheap test buy a bottle at wal-mart most sold in stores is 3% have fun.

This is great info, thanks guys. I've used a 10% H2O2 solution to stop mold growth on the surface of the dirt and that's it. I'm thinking using it on worm castings would negate the beneficial organisms that are in it.

i presoak all my seeds for 24 hours, plant into 2 1/2 sq pots, when they sprout, i spray every other watering with peroxide and ro water till plant out. keeps the seedlings free for mold, works
great for me.

I have just received some H2o2 and it states to use 0.5ml per litre. I presume this is for all plant sizes? Its 17.5% by the way.

Does the H2o2 need to be added to my bottle of water with hydro nutes each time I water them? Apparently it only stays in there for an hour or so...

Finally whats the ph of h2o2?

Chris

The 0.5 mL dose corresponds to about 88 ppm. I only use it to sanitize my feed water. If you're trying to sanitize the water, then you mix the H202 and allow time for it to dissipate before adding nutes. You can go up to 500 ppm as Willard suggested, but 100 ppm also found to kill root rot (more info here). Just remember H2O2 up to 100 ppm can stress the roots for a while.

Here's a resource for H2O2 pH.

I soaked my last batch of seeds for approximately 10 minutes in a 3% (straight from the bottle) solution before going into a folded coffee filter and ziplock. I don't know if 10 minutes is long enough though.

This has been an incredibly good thread; thanks for the info.
Here in Thailand a friend and I have planted about 100 Habanero seeds in 4 different soils and have one plant to show for it. Very frustrating to say the least.
2 days ago I soaked some seeds in a 50/50 water/3% peroxide solution for a couple of hours and 3 seeds have already started sprouting in a folded coffee filter.
My buddy is in England now and yesterday I got some coir plugs and more seeds from him via the mail.
For the first time in a long slog I feel very positive about finally being successful in growing a real crop of peppers.
Thanks again and cheers.

Back