• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Hydrogen Peroxide Germination Pre-Soaking

Sometimes you get seeds that are known to be infected with a fungus or virus. i got a notice of this from the USDA ARS-Grin seed bank with a few seeds and they were recommending soaking with TSP. Soaking with H2O2 will work as well if soaked overnight.

So no I just soak them all as a matter of course.

Potassium Nitrate, KNO3, Salt Petre is the only ingredient in Spectracide stump remover. You can get it in 1lb bottles at Lowes for $8.00 approx You only need to mix it at 1gr per 99mL of water. Why 99mL of water, you ask? 1mL of water weighs 1gr. So to make a 1% solution you need 1gr of KNO3 to 99gr-mL of H2O.

Sometimes you get seeds that are known to be infected with a fungus or virus. i got a notice of this from the USDA ARS-Grin seed bank with a few seeds and they were recommending soaking with TSP. Soaking with H2O2 will work as well if soaked overnight.

So no I just soak them all as a matter of course.

Potassium Nitrate, KNO3, Salt Petre is the only ingredient in Spectracide stump remover. You can get it in 1lb bottles at Lowes for $8.00 approx You only need to mix it at 1gr per 99mL of water. Why 99mL of water, you ask? 1mL of water weighs 1gr. So to make a 1% solution you need 1gr of KNO3 to 99gr-mL of H2O.

That's a good price....more than one person will ever need.

As with all chemicals, this is one to keep well out of reach with kids and pets...

KNO3 can be purchased at drug stores as a libido inhibitor. Just comes in a plastic pill bottle labeled potassium nitrate. Used to get it for scientific experiments (make gunpowder & dry rocket fuel).

It works. And Spectracide stump remover, teaspoon to a liter, then 2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide. Esp. tomato seed for getting rid of nasties: if anybody thinks most seed co's actually ferment tom seed :?:

Done it both ways, soaked and dry.
Didn't see a lot of difference in germination rates. Better soaked, for sure, but not better enough to justify heroic efforts and time requirements.

I figured to let Darwin decide.
If it wasn't tough enough to pop itself, it would prolly be to timid to survive the climate I am planting them in.

Back