• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic Experiment, Need your opinions

So my first Hydroponic system will be here late this week, early next week (xmas present to myself) but I am not sure what pepper to grow in it, so I need the forums opinion. Here is the system I chose to try out as my "teeth cutting" on hydroponics...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:L:OC:US:1123

I will let you all decide and the star of the hydroponic system will get planted on Christmas Eve, I will not vote on this myself, so it will be completely forum members based. The choices are seeds I already have (naga viper should be here next week) so its going to be one of these 8 hotties.

So my first Hydroponic system will be here late this week, early next week (xmas present to myself) but I am not sure what pepper to grow in it, so I need the forums opinion. Here is the system I chose to try out as my "teeth cutting" on hydroponics...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:L:OC:US:1123

I will let you all decide and the star of the hydroponic system will get planted on Christmas Eve, I will not vote on this myself, so it will be completely forum members based. The choices are seeds I already have (naga viper should be here next week) so its going to be one of these 8 hotties.

Very cool Matt! I'm anxious to see how the hydro goes for you! Perhaps one day I will try it :D

Whichever one you try, we wish you the best of luck in trying. We all want to know your system from the beginning, and how you're doing. I've never tried anything hydroponic, so it's all very new to me.

brain strain seeds I got from you are already popping (after 3 days)--in case you want a quick start.
I am very happy to hear they are growing good for you, I try my best to provide good seeds to people. :D
Whichever one you try, we wish you the best of luck in trying. We all want to know your system from the beginning, and how you're doing. I've never tried anything hydroponic, so it's all very new to me.
I am going to pick up my X-Nutrients free pack friday, this is what I am going to use to fuel the fire of the future pods. Hydro is all new to me, so it will be a learning experience, if it proves to be simple enough I will expand to a 6 shot system, I already have a very large plastic storage tote I can convert to a hydro system if I want to.

You are doing very well in your startup idea. I run 5gallon buckets with net pots and airstones. I have wonderful results.

I would not stray from the 'single' growing chambers. I have found that I need to have each of my 5 gallon buckets about 2 feet apart to keep the peppers from running all over each other. They need lots of space for growth and roots if you wanna do it right, and with DWC you are gonna get huge plants.

I also used a X-nutrient pack to start my peppers, it worked AWESOME! But now i'm out ,and they do not give you nearly enough Bloom nutes to even start flowering a plant right, but their lineup is great. Sucks for me, I would buy their stuff, but my hydro store doesn't carry them, so I got a 'one-shot' and now I'm probably going with G.O.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

And it is 7 Pot Yellow Brain Strain by a HUGE lead...
Butch T, Naga Morich and Chocolate Scorpion are neck and neck...
Indian Carbon is pulling up the rear...
Naga Viper, Numex Twilight and Bombay Morich all seem to be stuck in the gate...

Wait, we arent at the horse track. LOL

I would keep them in single containers... also I found it works better with the air hose to go in thru the lid. Once the roots get big enough, the roots end up around the airstone... makes it hard to wash out your bucket then...

this will be fun to watch! i have 3 DWC going on my balcony and the growth is slowed due to cooler weather here in SD, but you will get a monster! as long sa you keep the nutes are the right PPM and the PH in the right range you are good to go! i have been going 10-14 days between changes and so far so good!

And it is 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow out to a HUGE lead, will anyone challenge it? This was my choice but I wanted this to be "the forums baby" as well. If it is the BS Yellow that is the lucky winner, I will be offering seeds as well.
this will be fun to watch! i have 3 DWC going on my balcony and the growth is slowed due to cooler weather here in SD, but you will get a monster! as long sa you keep the nutes are the right PPM and the PH in the right range you are good to go! i have been going 10-14 days between changes and so far so good!
I am going to be building a grow box exclusively for this project. I am planning on keeping the temp around 80 degrees, should be near perfect. The grow box is going to be quite large, I am actually thinking of buying a standing closet I saw at Lowes. It is approximately 4 foot by 3 foot by 6 foot and I would line it with mylar to get maximum reflection, a couple ventilation fans and some bright as daylight lights, since I have had such good results with flouros, this is what I will use, they are so cheap to run I dont even notice a change in my electric bill.

Matt....I would play with ya, but I am still looking for a perfect box I can construct. If I find one in the next few days I will run with ya. are you wanting to both grow the same pepper? I dont have the yellow BS.

Looks like you all want me to grow the Brain Strain Yellow in the hydro system, that works for me. It would have been my choice as well. I will start a grow log on it as soon as I have it up and running, should be this weekend or early next week.

When you get the seeds would be good Cory, I dont think a week difference between the two plants will make any difference. I am goin to go get some rockwool this week so I can start the seed on Christmas Eve. I already rinsed the Hydroton, I did some reading on another forum about rinsing the Hydroton until the water ran clear, most people said it took forever, mine wasnt dirty at all, only took about a minute and all the brown was gone from the water.

They were recommending soaking the Hydroton in ph adjusted water for 24 hours prior to planting? I dont know why this is, I thought the Hydroton was merely there to support the stalk of the plant? Anyways, this is why it is an experiment. LOL The pump in the system is super quiet, even at full output, seems like a quality kit, we will see how it is in the long run.

Wow i'm the only viper liker?

I will still grow the Naga Viper too, I got the seeds on Saturday, so they will go into germination around the first of the year, also got some seeds for what is called "7 Pot Bubblegum", from the video I saw, it looks alot like the 7 Pot Brain Strain but the stem is red instead of green, will see how it grows.

I did some reading on another forum about rinsing the Hydroton until the water ran clear, most people said it took forever, mine wasnt dirty at all, only took about a minute and all the brown was gone from the water.

They were recommending soaking the Hydroton in ph adjusted water for 24 hours prior to planting? I dont know why this is, I thought the Hydroton was merely there to support the stalk of the plant?

I'm pretty sure the rinsing and soaking in ph adjusted water is so the hydroton doesn't change the ph of your solution when you add it to your system.

edit: I can't spell...

I got them today Matt, and I finished my cabinet the other day too... You were saying that you were looking into one of those storage deals from lowes, my dad had one that I took from him, and built it out. The only problem that I have found so far, is that it is hard to keep temps right. Just a heads up

the next one that I build, I think is going to be an old refrigerator...

Ok The Trinidad 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow is the WINNER!!! I started 3 seeds today in Rockwool along with 8 other varieties I havent grown yet. They are sitting quietly in their little hot house awaiting for life to come. Really not alot to show, so I am not going to post a picture at this time. Hopefully we will have life signs by next weekend around this time? I have never used Rockwool before, but it seems to grow well from all the other stuff I have seen planted in it.

Since I was told Rockwool has no nutrients at all in it, I wetted the cubes with 1/3 strength of the nutrients it will get in the Hydro system, X-Nutrients. I put 6ml of grow and 6ml of micro into a gallon of water, soaked them and then drained off the excess. According to my temp gun it is right at 83.7 degrees in the center of the mini greenhouse and 79.2 on the outer edges and it is getting water droplets on the inside of the dome...

More soon I hope...

Back