• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic Issue Need Help

Your choice of nutes are notoriously inconsistant between batches.

I used them 3 times---2 were fine, 1 killed my plants.

I now use Advanced nutrients sensi grow/sensi bloom 2 part mixes.

General Hydroponics brand is iffy at best.

Did you mix it correctly before adding to the bucket?
Some cheat and mix the whole 4 gallon batch in the first gallon and top off with water----bad idea.

As for water level, I top the bugger to the very top at transplant, and then let it fall to the bottom of the basket naturally, I let about 2 gallons get used up before filling again to the bottom of the basket.

Transplanting in pebbles, I make sure the rootball is well seperated and cleaned, and placed at the very bottom of the basket. Someimes it means the stem is covered to the first leaves, but it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Even so, I have 4 root spa's just like yours, with 3 plants in each one------and 1 single plant turned out like your damaged example. Brown roots, no growth, died.
I figured that I damaged the stem during transplant, or didn't get the roots clean enough before hand.

Gotrox said:
Your choice of nutes are notoriously inconsistant between batches.

I used them 3 times---2 were fine, 1 killed my plants.

I now use Advanced nutrients sensi grow/sensi bloom 2 part mixes.

General Hydroponics brand is iffy at best.

Did you mix it correctly before adding to the bucket?
Some cheat and mix the whole 4 gallon batch in the first gallon and top off with water----bad idea.

As for water level, I top the bugger to the very top at transplant, and then let it fall to the bottom of the basket naturally, I let about 2 gallons get used up before filling again to the bottom of the basket.

Transplanting in pebbles, I make sure the rootball is well seperated and cleaned, and placed at the very bottom of the basket. Someimes it means the stem is covered to the first leaves, but it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Even so, I have 4 root spa's just like yours, with 3 plants in each one------and 1 single plant turned out like your damaged example. Brown roots, no growth, died.
I figured that I damaged the stem during transplant, or didn't get the roots clean enough before hand.
I didn't cheat, I filled it up to the very top and then put the nutes in one at a time and used the airstone to help mix the solution, then grow, then bloom.  The root had a right angle which is why I decided to put in so much solution, I wanted the roots to be touching the solution/air mix.  Obviously it was in a black bucket, but it did look dark, much darker than my previous batches, but I did put 5 tsp of each for sure so it was probably just the way it looked.  I used that micro/grow/bloom mix without airstones to grow my seedlings from tiny to what you see in the dirt cup in the video, so I figured it would be really good with the air and bucket system?!  Hopefully diluting the nutes will help, I'll keep an eye on the new plant in there and see how it does.  Thanks for they replies.

I use a syringe ( cheap by the pack) to get exact ml to liter mix (converted to us gallons) and mine went all the way down in the basket and covered all the way to the top with solution the first fillup.
My buckets have no airstone, just a tube to the bottom I insert an airline into.

Great airflow.

http://www.hydrofarmgc.com/resources/ask-ivy/?p=646

Back