• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic peppers and multipart nutrients

Hello Everyone,

Since peppers don't care that much about the type of light when it comes to flowering what do you all do when using multipart nutrients?

Right now I have several pepper plants under a 1000 watt MH bulb and they are flowering just fine and I have a dozen peppers on the Cayenne.

But what about nutrients?  So far I have used the vegetative stage nutrients (more grow vs bloom) and they are still flowering. Is there a benefit to move over to more bloom nutrients?

Or do peppers really not care as long as they are fed and happy?

I know with tomatoes it matters very much but it seems my peppers just don't care. If I remove the flowers they grow bigger or I leave the flowers and I get peppers.

Not complaining that is for sure just wondering what it is others do.

Thanks.

Luma

Balanced nutes and roughly 50% strength. That is where peppers are happiest in my exp. 

They grow, flower and ripen pods all at the same time. They should have the nutes they need for all three. 

Jeff H said:
Balanced nutes and roughly 50% strength. That is where peppers are happiest in my exp. 

They grow, flower and ripen pods all at the same time. They should have the nutes they need for all three. 

So, equal parts each GMB?

In hydro I use Pure Blend Pro grow and bloom with Liquid Karma. I use the grow until pods start setting then the bloom from then on. The only reason I switch is to lower the nitrogen some seems like to much nitrogen and they don't set pods as well.

Peppers / chiles do not have a "grow" and "bloom" stage. As stated they do everything at the same time. I've found a balanced nute is best. I use the 20-20-20 from kelp4less and have fantastic results

Pac_Heat507 said:

So, equal parts each GMB?

Something like that. 

I'm currently using Flour Duo and I'm using equal parts but the 3 part system may be different. Look for the 'transition' recipe for Mary Jane and use that. Make sure to dilute it though. 50%ish. Roughly. There is no magic number but full strength nutes has the propensity to cause nute burn and nute lockout . 

Add some Cal Mag too. 

Also, there is a bazillion threads here about hydroponics nutes. Do some research. That is what I did before  started. 

The thing with a lot of the other threads is that people assume peppers are like Tomatoes or MJ and require a transition from grow to bloom in both nutrients and light spectrum. This is not the case so I am trying to find what experienced pepper growers are using in Hydrooponic systems.

Perhaps I could of found some threads that proved helpful, sorry about that. I am not perfect.

Anyways, I am currently using the Floraduo as well but I am not that big a fan. Ingredient list seems a bit long and some odd stuff in there. And it is pretty expensive.

I am thinking of trying the Botanicare line. Mostly Organic but it does not smell and it is still easy to use.

I tried the General Organics line from GH and it did not work well at all. And it stank, oh man that was not pleasant at all.
Jeff H said:

Something like that. 

I'm currently using Flour Duo and I'm using equal parts but the 3 part system may be different. Look for the 'transition' recipe for Mary Jane and use that. Make sure to dilute it though. 50%ish. Roughly. There is no magic number but full strength nutes has the propensity to cause nute burn and nute lockout . 

Add some Cal Mag too. 

Also, there is a bazillion threads here about hydroponics nutes. Do some research. That is what I did before  started. 

The thing with a lot of the other threads is that people assume peppers are like Tomatoes or MJ and require a transition from grow to bloom in both nutrients and light spectrum. This is not the case so I am trying to find what experienced pepper growers are using in Hydrooponic systems.

Perhaps I could of found some threads that proved helpful, sorry about that. I am not perfect.

Anyways, I am currently using the Floraduo as well but I am not that big a fan. Ingredient list seems a bit long and some odd stuff in there. And it is pretty expensive.

I am thinking of trying the Botanicare line. Mostly Organic but it does not smell and it is still easy to use.

I tried the General Organics line from GH and it did not work well at all. And it stank, oh man that was not pleasant at all.

Peppers are like tomatoes actually. They both belong in the day-neutral photoperiod group.

They both flower regardless of light cycle.

For any fruit bearing plants I run the lucas formula with the Advanced Nutrient Jungle Juice line of nutrients. In addition to that, I run Dutch Master zone and Cal Mag.

Floraduo is good stuff. Are you noticing problems with using it?

Are you going to run your "organic" based nutrient in DWC?

Aeroponics.....

I love the growth rates of aero setups. I absolutely hate those damn misters getting clogged though.

You run those or laser line?

I built a few rail systems that are combined aero/nft and side by side to any other method this wins!

I don't run high pressure  misters, I simply have a low-pressure emitter on the end of a hose.
I tried misting systems and they don't do any better than the emitter and they are waaaayyyy more maintenance intensive/noisy/power hungry.

Emitter:

willard3 said:
I don't run high pressure  misters, I simply have a low-pressure emitter on the end of a hose.
I tried misting systems and they don't do any better than the emitter and they are waaaayyyy more maintenance intensive/noisy/power hungry.

Willard3, do you have any photos of the setup you are running? Sounds interesting and I don't think I've read about anything quite like that before.

Back