• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponics and Compost Tea ???

I generally do clones in potting soil, but the bottom of the pots sits in a tray of water with an aquarium bubbler and heater.  Works great.  Got me to wondering, if I switched the potting soil for a non soil medium and started using compost tea instead of water, would that be considered hydroponics?  That led me to wondering if such a thing would be sufficient for full plant production.

Do you think something that simplistic could work?

Nope.  Doesn't work that way.
Hydro and organics are *generally* incompatible.  But tea as a nutrient  solution isn't a good option.  It might work for something like lettuce, but as a rule, teas are teas, and fertilizers are fertilizers.  Nutrients for hydro fit squarely in the fertilizer category.
Lots of people have tried organic hydro over the years, with varying degrees of success.  But typically, organic compounds result in sludge in a reservoir, which will clog everything. (including air stones)  It's best to stick to inorganic elements in a hydro setup.

Back