• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Hydroton out of business- now what media?

Just wondering what you guys that used Hydroton are going to now that it won't be available anymore. I'm thinking of Hydrocorn, but really no experience with it or any other media so it's gonna be some tough choices for me.

That sucks, I might try to grab a 50lb bag before its extinct. I just rinse it really well with boiling water and it's re-usable multiple times.

I have a buddy that grows lettuce and 'maters in a medium-fine grade red lava rock.
Might be worth a shot.
It's almost free here. Works good for orchids too.

Attachments

• p8150002.jpg
    p8150002.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 68
From that picture, looks like you may have enough to get by for this season ;)
I really kind of like what I've read on the Hydro Corn. It looks similar to Hydroton. I'll have to read up a bit more before I get 200 liters of it though.

I also looked into something called Grow Stone http://www.growstone.com/ but unlike Hydroton it has a naturally high PH so they add buffers, and from what I've read you have to do a bunch of rinsing, then testing, then soaking, then testing, then soaking, then testing, then use it, then test again after a day...
Not sure about everyone else, but I don't need that much hassle.

Might look at coco a bit more.

I'm using white Pomice that is about the size of Perlite in a hydro setup.
I just rinsed out the fine particles.
Seems ok so far.
Hydroton was too light weight for my kitchen plant and having to tie up the plant sucked.Strings everywhere,always in the way.

Back