• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hyrdo leaf curl?????

Got my ghetto hydro all setup and stocked, but 2 of the pepper plants----only 2----have leaf curl. Butch T and Devils tongue.
The other 5 are just fine.
Thinking maybe a bit of epsom salt to fix it, but REALLY don't want to mess up the others.

Hints?
Other ideas?
Mix ratio for a 10 gal hydro tub?

Fert is stock aerogarden @ 11ml per gallon.

the leaf margins are rolling up right?

it might help if you posted a pic.

i had problems with plants rolling at the leaf margins, it was apparently due to excessive heat and 100% not nutrient related. if your lights are super close you might wnat to look at that, but without a pic, its hard to say anything at all really.

DSCN9037.jpg

DSCN9038.jpg

First pic has curl along center, second has curling back under from the tip.

8" or so from bulb fluorescents, but have 2 others 4" or less from lights not showing any similar deformation.
These are in a window for supplemental sunlight, but one is on the window side, the other, not.

I must say the Butch T began showing the tendency to curl even before transplanting from the aerogarden into the bigger unit.

oh, tbh i wouldn't worry alot.

that sort of distortion is fairly normal from my experience. u might try adding a little more calcium if you have an available source. many one part fertilizers lack calcium because of chemical comparability issues.
but again, some plants just show that trait more than others. its not super cool to look at, but your plant isnt suffering in any apappreciable fashion

that's defiantly not the sort of margin curl i was thinking about.

Thanx. Not too worried, but wanted to nip it before it became serious if needed.

NooB hydro farmer, ya know. (for peppers) :shh:

I guess I could scrounge up some calcium, and if it shows lockup, it's easy to drain and refill.

honestly, ive always felt that the ph lockout deal is way way over emphasized. unless u get insanely low or high .... like 5 or 7.5-8. plus theres the whole plant root system ph thing... w/e

if you want to try adding more calcium, id first calculate how much is in your formula.
ive gone as high as 330 mg/l calcium with RO water. however my tap water which i use mostly is totally full of calcium carbonate and i think 50mg/l of free calcium so i only go to 240ish and keep the ph low like 6.5-6 so it stays in solution and dosent scale inside my plumbing /rez / sprayers.

That doesn't look too bad to me either. I've noticed slightly odd growth patterns on leaves when growing hydro vs. soil with several different kinds of plants. They still go on to be excellent producers.

Back