• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I cannot get this to fruit!

Yo guys! I've got this super healthy-looking Pakistani green chili that just refuses to fruit at all. Its cousins that are in the ground at work are all putting out hundreds of chilies, but this one refuses to put out even one flower. I've tried heavy dosages of K and P, to no avail. I've tried stressing it, and that also didn't work. What do you suggest?

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_185412.jpg
    IMG_20200731_185412.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 80
Coup said:
Yo guys! I've got this super healthy-looking Pakistani green chili that just refuses to fruit at all. Its cousins that are in the ground at work are all putting out hundreds of chilies, but this one refuses to put out even one flower. I've tried heavy dosages of K and P, to no avail. I've tried stressing it, and that also didn't work.

What do you suggest?

So plants at work-in ground that are putting out hundreds of chiles that didn't get,  "heavy dosages of K and P, to no avail. I've tried stressing it, and that also didn't work."

I suggest you stop nukeing it with excessive nutes & stressing it with whatever that method was used and try duplicating your in ground success.

Trying to induce fruiting/flowering by manipulating nutrients is not gonna work. 
I would tell you that you can trick a plant into flowering by shaking or striking it...  But if it's not making flowers on its own, the chances are better than not, that it isn't going to hold them, anyway.
Are the in-ground plants the same size as this one?  Do they look healthier?  Bigger?

Here is our in-ground chili plant. The only nutrients it receives are 1) the compost it was buried with, and 2) the mild fish tank fertilizer that gets injected via the the drip system. These guys get pretty neglected but seem to out-perform.

I'm not sure what else I can do for the potted one. It's obviously huge and green, but a chili plant is worthless without producing fruit.

Attachments

• chilibaby.jpg
    chilibaby.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 75
The difference between a container and a raised bed, boils down to environment.
Container: small root space, smaller geothermal mass.
If there was just one thing that I'd do, it would be to get the container insulated.  It's gotta be hot AF in Denton, TX right now. 

I had a plant last year that wouldn't produce around this time frame so I cut about 6 inches off the top and new shoots came out in no time and produced flowers...could've been dumb luck though. I am not suggesting this. I had plenty of other pepper plants so i didn't mind experimenting on 1. 

...I got to thinking...did you start the plant from seed? I started a Ghostly Jalapeno plant by seed this year and they thing is nearly 36" tall and has NO flowers on it. I just noticed it today when I was relocating my potted plants back outside (brought them in due to tropical storm that came though my area yesterday). This plant was very spindly when it first started out due to lack of sunlight. Maybe this has something to do with it? Just guessing here.

jodom said:
...I got to thinking...did you start the plant from seed? I started a Ghostly Jalapeno plant by seed this year and they thing is nearly 36" tall and has NO flowers on it. I just noticed it today when I was relocating my potted plants back outside (brought them in due to tropical storm that came though my area yesterday). This plant was very spindly when it first started out due to lack of sunlight. Maybe this has something to do with it? Just guessing here.

Started from seed, the same seeds the in-ground plants are started from.

Pr0digal_son said:
Typically this scenario is reversed but you are in a very hot environment. Is it dropping flowers or not producing flowers at all? Seems like the latter.

Not producing at all. :(

Back