• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I detest air stones

I don't think I have had one yet, and I own/have owned more than a dozen, that have not failed and become clogged. Why do they clog? I don't have a clue. All that is blowing through them is air, it's not like a water pump.

No more stones in my buckets.

Mike

boutros said:
Not sure why, but I'm plauged with it too.

What are you replacing them with?

What other options are there? My spinners get clogged, I've tried sprayers and ended my winter growing with air stones. I need to find a nozzle that I can keep above water level and be able to pull off and clean more often. Maybe like a watering can top? Maybe find some small ones like off my outdoor shower I use for camping. I tell ya guys, I am really reachin for something new! My indoor season is starting soon too...

Get a brass "muffler" of an air line. They are used to deaden the sound of exhaust air.
muffler2.jpg

Novacastrian said:
Get a brass "muffler" of an air line. They are used to deaden the sound of exhaust air.
muffler2.jpg

I don't know how much better that would work see as though they clog rather easily also. We use them alot at work, and you also have to consider the chemicals in the water with the brass and what is released.

boutros said:
Not sure why, but I'm plauged with it too.

What are you replacing them with?

Honestly, nothing! I have a 900 GPH pump to run 50 50-gallon buckets. I will run the lines - four of them - in-line, using 1/4" T's and leave one end open. I won't get millions of tiny bubbles but a guy with a lot of experience said in another forum that is all he does.

Another option is to use plastic tubing and, with a needle, poke holes in it - the more the merrier.

Mike

Sure, streetbmx. I'll run out tomorrow and get 48 of them. All I need to do is find which pocket I left that $400 in. I am going to try some Oxystones to see how they do.

Mike

Wally's has ceramic airstones that I use and they have run without incident or plugging for approx 5 years so far.

Back