I f!@%ing love science just shared some info on our passion :)

geeme said:
What a riot - how much do you think was spent on studies to tell us something we already knew???  ;)

Probably loads and loads, as with so many things. "Arsenic will kill you, countless studies finally discover." .. Ugh, yeah. So did the countless people who obviously died from it. lol

I find this line in the article amusing, "Unfortunately, chilli-induced hallucinations are not well understood." .. Methinks the writer of the article ought to just ask around the community and gather some answers. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to deduce some answers to that. :)

I had no idea alcohol also helps take the edge off the heat.  I'll have to try my next scotch bonnet with a barrel proof bourbon

turbo said:
I had no idea alcohol also helps take the edge off the heat.  I'll have to try my next scotch bonnet with a barrel proof bourbon

Alcohol has a high sugar content, which is why it helps. Well, that, and if you're drunk enough you just won't care. But here's a caveat - if you infuse liquor with a handful of pods, it's still going to light you up!

"I find this line in the article amusing, "Unfortunately, chilli-induced hallucinations are not well understood.""

Just a guess, but maybe an intense endorphin rush leading your body feeling like it is in severe trauma or even close to death, causing a mild DMT flash? Not a scientist here, but sounds plausible.

geeme said:
Alcohol has a high sugar content, which is why it helps.

No it's because cap is not water soluble, but it is alcohol soluble so it acts as a carrier.

Beer is mostly water. No good. High proof works.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this article akin to a badly done middle school science project?

Endorphins hit the Opiate receptors. Some of them are the same ones that heroin acts on. Hmm, I wonder why chilis might be capable of inducing hallucinations? Never had one personally and I`m dubious as to their reality, but I have been very high after eating idiotically hot peppers, so there does seem to be a very simple explanation. 

Ethanol (alcohol) is a fantastic solvent for fats, oils and the like. So it`s a good solvent for capsaicin and can remove it from your skin, mouth, nose etc. 

Have you read any of their other articles? You'll likely have the same sentiments toward them, as well. I'm glad you posted, though, Nigel; you know way more about this than I do!

Back