• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding I has an Aji Lemon+????? Cross

Hey guy i was hoping you all could help with a few questions.

I gave three plants to my next door neighbour around 6 weeks ago and being a non chilli eating freak he gives the pods to the next rightful owner (me):P.

The pod in question came from an Aji Lemon plant but has been crossed with something, my guess is Tabasco as they used to grow side by side.

Questions: 1. How often do you guys experience crosses whilst growing.
2. Is it likely that pods only cross with their own type, ie species.

3. How much will the crossing affect the flavour and heat from the original, 50/50?

4. Say it was crossed with Tabasco how do you all think it will taste?

Heres a piccy.
crosschilli026.jpg

Any other thoughts on this wonderful process?

joeknowsjolokia said:
Where did the seeds come from? Chiles cross bread easily. But I bet it would still be yummy!:)

Damn straight it was yummy! I had it on a slice of pizza tonight:P
I got the seeds from THSC but i think the seeds have little to do with the crossing of it.
From what i understand it is only when a flower ghets cross pollinated that this happens, but then again i am only a stupid noobie!

Novacastrian said:
Damn straight it was yummy! I had it on a slice of pizza tonight:P
I got the seeds from THSC but i think the seeds have little to do with the crossing of it.
From what i understand it is only when a flower ghets cross pollinated that this happens, but then again i am only a stupid noobie!

If a flower on a Aij Lemon is pollinated by pollen from a Tabascoflower (for example) you would't see any difference in the fruit whatsoever. The cross will only be seen in the second generation - if you plant the seeds from a fruit that are a result of cross-pollinating.

So the seeds that plant came from have everything to do with it:)

Here's my take
1. I recieved many crosses from others but have yet to have a known cross from my own plants. It probably depends a lot on the amount of bees and pollinating insects as well as the species. I believe a lot of C. frutescens and others with upward facing flowers get crosses more easily
2. Most common pepper species' are compatible for breeding. There is a chart around somewhere
3. Its hard to tell. You will get features from both parents but one might dominate in flavor
4. Don't know but since I don't like tobascos very much, I'd say you may be ruining a great taste,thats just me but a frutescens/baccatum cross does sounds interesting

Sorry if this posts twice, but the network just spazzed on me, and it doesn't look like the post went through.

Most of the common species of peppers cross readily, they're the little trollops of the garden. Fatalii.net has some information on crossing, just scroll to the bottom of this page.

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

Because it's so easy for peppers to cross, I generally prefer to get my seeds from established companies than fool around with trades and eBay-type sales. If I'm going to save seed I either isolate the plant or bag a branch or even the entire plant.

I do get volunteers in the garden, generally at least one or two a year, and as long as they're not causing a problem with one of the other plants, I let them grow. I told the story of the Puppy Au Pair's hot pepper dance when she ate a chile from a volunteer that looked like a mild pepper. Whatever it crossed with really ramped up the heat, but the pepper looked exactly the same.

Novacastrian said:
Questions: 1. How often do you guys experience crosses whilst growing.
2. Is it likely that pods only cross with their own type, ie species.

3. How much will the crossing affect the flavour and heat from the original, 50/50?

4. Say it was crossed with Tabasco how do you all think it will taste?
1. All the freakin' time.
2. They can cross with any variation of pepper plant. Some even have gotten hot Bell Peppers from Hab cross polinating the Bells.
3. It will vary greatly.
4. All signs point to tasty.

imaguitargod said:
Some even have gotten hot Bell Peppers from Hab cross polinating the Bells.

That sounds like it would make for some great fresh salsa. And omelets. Maybe this is the year I try to intentionally cross something.

Its difficult to do the hab/bell cross sucessfully since large, sweet and red are dominant features when breeding. The f1 might have some features that you want but then the f2's will start showing recessive genes. This is where you'd have to grow many plants and save seeds only from the most desired characteristics and do this for several generations.

POTAWIE said:
This is where you'd have to grow many plants and save seeds only from the most desired characteristics and do this for several generations.

Actually, that sounds like fun. I'm doing something like that with my jals, but not crossing them. I have a couple of different varieties and I breed from the hottest and most vigorous plants. I keep track of the lineage etc.
c.

caroltlw said:
Actually, that sounds like fun. I'm doing something like that with my jals, but not crossing them. I have a couple of different varieties and I breed from the hottest and most vigorous plants. I keep track of the lineage etc.
c.

That is how new varieties are made. 10 years from now we'll all be begging you for seeds for the true-breeding "Caroltlw Jal"

caroltlw said:
c.

I always try to do a "selective breeding" approach as well, and try to improve certain traits in known varieties but I also have a lot of hybrids that I've been growing out for several years.

It's amazing. In the first generation I bred solely for heat with good to great results. I had "complaints" about the heat on most of them. This time I'm seeing obvious vigor differences. "J8" has fast growing offspring that crave light and "J2" has more compact, runty looking babies. I also have a "J1" and a "J9" which are somewhere in between.

Alright, what i don't understand is how a plant can have two different pods on it when it came from a single seed. Just how is that possible?

Novacastrian said:
Alright, what i don't understand is how a plant can have two different pods on it when it came from a single seed. Just how is that possible?

Picture please! That is something for the books!

The picture at the top of the thread shows the peppers that came off the plant, i don't have any pics of the fruit on the actual plant.
My next door neighbour picked them and then gave them to me, he is adament that they came from the same plant.
When i questioned this he simply said "look mate they came off this plant right here" (pointing to the Aji Lemon).

I saved the seeds from both pods too.

Novacastrian said:
My next door neighbour picked them and then gave them to me, he is adament that they came from the same plant.

He is wrong. He might be pulling your leg or he might just remember wrong. Either way - those two peppers did not come from the same plant.

Back