• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I have 2 questions..

So my jalapeno plant is about 2 years old already and it just looks so tiny compared to what I have seen on here and other places... I was wondering if you guys use fertilizers, if so, what kind? Do you know if any that will make the plant be huge and give off a lot of peppers? Or does the plant just need to be older for it to get huge?

Here is a picture of my plant:

f680324e17.jpg

Now on to my other question, the back of my plant looks like it's been eaten by some bugs.. How do I prevent this from happening?

8d33387ee5.jpg

Depends on how good your soil is. If you amend your soil with good stuff like good compost, worm castings, etc you need little to no fertilizer. Just add more to the soil each year to refresh. My raised beds I built this year I filled with 60/40 yard waste compost/screened topsoil from a local company, Tomato Tone, crab shell, bone meal, blood meal, a few bags of Black Gold potting mix (has worm castings and couldn't find just worm casting anywhere around here), Also added some mushroom compost I had leftover. The plants are the biggest and thickest I've ever grown and I haven't had to add a drop of liquid ferts. 

For my containers I'm using Foliage Pro. I've heard really great things about it and am having good results. It has all the macro and micro nutrients so you don't need to use other ferts with it. I've seen some fert programs that use 5 or 6 different ferts, no thanks. Also using this on the back plot. The soil in the back isn't great and all I had time/$ for this year was adding 10 yards of mushroom compost. Hoping to add wood chips and yard waste compost to it next year but I might just turn it into raised beds since I'm having such amazing results with my others.

I'm ordering another fertilizer to try that I've been hearing people rave about on FB. Urban Farms Texas Tomato Food. They also have one for vegetables but I like the extra calcium in the Tomato one.

Many people use Miracle Gro and have great results with it.

Anyway that's what I'm using/trying this year. I've got 430 plants growing all together and the plants in the raised bed soil are by far the best.

Bugs. Depends on what kind of bugs. Your plants don't look too bad. A hole here or there isn't going to hurt anything. If it gets worse you'll have to play detective and try to find the culprit. Chewers aren't as easy to kill like suckers (aphids). Last month I had a battle with Asiatic garden beetles. They only come out and feed at night and they were shredding my leaves. I didn't know what it was at first. Finally kept finding little brown beetles burrowed in the soil around the edges of my containers. Looked them up and found out what they were. Only option was to use a poison for chewers like Sevin dust (don't like poisons unless no other option left) or go out at night and pick them off by hand. Also set up a light trap with sticky boards that caught a bunch. Battle seems to be over

Scorched said:
Depends on how good your soil is. If you amend your soil with good stuff like good compost, worm castings, etc you need little to no fertilizer. Just add more to the soil each year to refresh. My raised beds I built this year I filled with 60/40 yard waste compost/screened topsoil from a local company, Tomato Tone, crab shell, bone meal, blood meal, a few bags of Black Gold potting mix (has worm castings and couldn't find just worm casting anywhere around here), Also added some mushroom compost I had leftover. The plants are the biggest and thickest I've ever grown and I haven't had to add a drop of liquid ferts. 

For my containers I'm using Foliage Pro. I've heard really great things about it and am having good results. It has all the macro and micro nutrients so you don't need to use other ferts with it. I've seen some fert programs that use 5 or 6 different ferts, no thanks. Also using this on the back plot. The soil in the back isn't great and all I had time/$ for this year was adding 10 yards of mushroom compost. Hoping to add wood chips and yard waste compost to it next year but I might just turn it into raised beds since I'm having such amazing results with my others.

I'm ordering another fertilizer to try that I've been hearing people rave about on FB. Urban Farms Texas Tomato Food. They also have one for vegetables but I like the extra calcium in the Tomato one.

Many people use Miracle Gro and have great results with it.

Anyway that's what I'm using/trying this year. I've got 430 plants growing all together and the plants in the raised bed soil are by far the best.

Bugs. Depends on what kind of bugs. Your plants don't look too bad. A hole here or there isn't going to hurt anything. If it gets worse you'll have to play detective and try to find the culprit. Chewers aren't as easy to kill like suckers (aphids). Last month I had a battle with Asiatic garden beetles. They only come out and feed at night and they were shredding my leaves. I didn't know what it was at first. Finally kept finding little brown beetles burrowed in the soil around the edges of my containers. Looked them up and found out what they were. Only option was to use a poison for chewers like Sevin dust (don't like poisons unless no other option left) or go out at night and pick them off by hand. Also set up a light trap with sticky boards that caught a bunch. Battle seems to be over

that plant should be huge bro !     

It's already been said, that plant should be a monster.

I would be using some sort of ferts... Or a different container. Scorched put it well. If you have good soil with amendments you will use hardly no ferts at all. For a fertilizer I would recommend something organic, like fish and kelp. There are synthetic options, MG being one... I don't recommend those for the fact that over a short period of time your soil will die and your plant will become dependent on whatever synthetic ferts you are using.

That is a whole other debate though...  

Back