• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests I have aphids on my plants. Is it okay to spray them with vinegar?

I recently brought in 5 of my pepper plants to winter over and I noticed that aphids have been multiplying like crazy on my Scotch Bonnet. I did some research online for organic aphid control and I've come across two ideas that I like. Lemon solution and watered down vinegar. Anyway I'm wondering if its okay to spray the plants with white vinegar (watered down) or if that would hurt them.

in the right dilution, yes.

Here's a list from one of the sites I have bookmarked. I have used the Neem oil & had great success with it. I've also used the lemon-zest solution & that works great too.

I've not used vinegar, but the ratio is listed.

The aluminum foil method sounds great, but keeping the foil clean/reflective and keeping it in place is difficult.

Here's the list:

Natural Aphid Pesticides: Neem Oil
Pure neem oil, an oil derived from the neem tree, has long been used in many natural remedies, including pest control. The oil, or Azadirachtin, acts as a repellent and growth regulator. To the insects, the neem oil has a bitter taste, so they will not eat the leaves treated with it. Also, if the insects do come in contact with the Azadirachtin, it prevents the larvae from growing into adults. Neem oil can be purchased at various online stores or made from neem trees.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Homemade Lemon Spray
This natural aphid pesticide works as an instant remedy, killing the aphids on contact. To make this natural pesticide, grate the rind of a large lemon. Boil it in enough water to fill a garden spray bottle. Let the mixture sit overnight. Drain the liquid into the garden spray bottle. Spray the aphids and larvae directly. It will cause them to convulse.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Homemade Vinegar Spray
Get out a spray bottle and fill it 1/3 of the way with distilled white vinegar and the rest of the way with water. This will kill the aphids and larvae on contact. Some plants react badly to the vinegar. It's important know which plants you can and cannot use this method with.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Aluminum Foil
Place a square of aluminum foil around the base of plants affected by aphids. This causes light to bounce around to the underside of the leaves, which repels the aphids. It is also good for the plants, as it brings them more natural sunlight.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Calcium Powder
Sprinkling calcium powder around the base of the plants is another natural aphid repellent. The aphids do not like the calcium and will generally stay away from it.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Yellow Plastic Bowl
Aphids are naturally attracted to the color yellow. Place a yellow plastic bowl filled about 1/3 of the way with water in the center of the infested area. Many of the aphids will be drawn to the bowl and will go into the water and die.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Banana Peels
Burying shredded banana peels around the base of plants is an odd, but effective remedy. It has been around for ages and many gardeners will swear by it.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Smash Their Buddies
Squashing a few aphids near the infested area will signify to the other aphids that it is time to go. It's a chemical reaction.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Ladybugs
Ladybugs can be purchased at garden and home improvement centers. The ladybugs feed on the aphids and if you purchase enough, the aphids will be gone in no time. Ladybugs are also good for the garden in other ways.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Garlic or Onions
Planting garlic or onions is another natural aphid deterrent. They do not like garlic or onion and will not likely come near an area they are in.

good luck! :cheers:

ps - I don't really grow peppers, but I worked on an organic farm for a few years and grew pretty much everything else.
:D

I haven't tried that, but recommend that you give it a try on a few leaves, and see how the plant reacts. If favorably, go ahead and spray the rest of the plant. Note that aphids have what I'm going to call a ridiculous life cycle - they hatch at an amazing rate. Spray them EVERY DAY until they are gone, then keep spraying several more days to ensure they're REALLY gone.

A better solution, IMO, and if you can get them, is ladybugs. Ladybugs will voraciously devour the aphids and their eggs in no time flat. But you don't want to spray the plants at the same time you release ladybugs onto them, as the spray might kill the ladybugs, too.

Lol, that's actually the same list I am going off of, Lucky. I am going to do the lemon zest thing but it says to let it sit overnight so I won't be using it until tomorrow and I want to try treating my poor plants ASAP.

I haven't done the "release a mighty swarm of ladybugs to do your bidding" thing, but I've had a few ladybugs on my plants. They seem to stick around long enough to thin out the aphid population, then wander off before finishing the job completely. The aphids are back to swarming strength in a few days.

I've been controlling my aphid problem with squishing, but I can't seem to get them all either. The plants will be clean for a few days then they pop right back up. I've started plucking the leaves that I find them on, hopefully that'll be enough to finish the job.

When I brought them in to overwinter I'd originally pruned all leaves off my plants which worked amazingly. Then I was an idiot and brought in another without pruning since I thought I'd gone a bit overkill and didn't see any aphids on this one. With aphids, you cannot overkill enough. They spread into the new growth on my previously pruned plants.

Pull plant out of its pot,then spray the roots with your garden hose until all of the dirt is off of the roots. Prune off all the foliage,and cut back the roots to equal the size of the plants frame. Soak your plant in desired pesticide. Lastly use fresh soil and a clean pot and replant your pepper plant. The best way to deal with pests indoors is to keep them outside. I'm not fond of lady bugs or any other bugs in my house.

I've tried normal household fly spray and so far it seems to have worked.
It's been an absolutley rotten year for growing anything with these little buggers trying to eat what's there.

I'm from the UK and a diy chain called B&Q that sell a spray called "Bug Clear gun". Don't buy it, it'll kill your plants as I found out the hard way.

Water and dish soap. Soak every inch of your plant. The dish soap dries them out and kills them. It won't completely kill them off but it will slow them down considerably.

I've tried to aim for the source of the problem, so the little ***kers don't breed anymore , then go for then go for the kids ( Oooh that sounds wrong) on the plants. I'm going to win this war!!! :flamethrower:

One thing that 'may' help if you're starting from scratch and don't have a problem is to sterilise the soil incase there are any eggs in it
. Sterilise the soil by putting a small amout in the microwave for a minute at a time.

I've been using Seventh Generation Dish Liquid from Wally World. It was recommended by a couple members on this site. I just mix a little soap and vegetable oil in a spray bottle. I sprayed the plants every evening, top and bottom of the leaf, for about a week. then I sprayed every other day for about a week. I still see a couple every few days and I just soak the plants again. I've only got about 15 plants inside right now and they are almost all less than 1 foot tall be it has been very manageable.

I found using listerine, yes, the mouth wash mixed with water and sprayed on the plant works, but wont kikk 100% of them

I personally use neem spray + lady bugs. Even then, they will still come back at certain times of year.

I have used vinegar in the past as an herbicide on large swaths of yard weeds. Granted that's in very concentrated amounts. BUT...it will absolutely destroy a plant (especially in conjunction with sunshine) in a short period.

Be careful and good luck! :)

A natural product called beat a Bug , its just crushed garlic and chilli made into a spray , cost about 8 bucks and it works .

Try Murphy's Oil Soap and Rubbing Alcohol like 3 to 1 ratio or straight rubbing alcohol, It evaporates quick and kills the little SOB's,
worked for me, also did cut back, washing , seven dust,azamax, next would of been fire..! LOL good luck

Back