• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I have buds , what now

Hard Water
Because more than 60 percent of the earth's water is groundwater, it travels through rock and soil picking up minerals, including calcium and magnesium along the way. These two contaminants produce what is commonly referred to as "hardness" in water. Generally speaking, hardness is measured in grains per gallon (gpg).

Lol, the absence of Cal is laughable in most soil, the real problem is the plants ability to absorb it...

Rymerpt said:
My soil, I just read, has oyster shells. Does that work?

Oyster shell lime. Good for increasing PH and adding calcium to the soil.
Question is how much is bio-available, as Cayennemist mentioned.

plaisir8 said:

Oyster shell lime. Good for increasing PH and adding calcium to the soil.
Question is how much is bio-available, as Cayennemist mentioned.

....almost what I said, more like, is your soil breaking it down with microorganisms to a soluble level. And Is fungi delivering it to the roots trying to cash it in for some plant sugars.

People don't need Cal-Mag unless they kill off the life in their soil with synthetic fertilizers/salt and pesticides like "mosquito dunks" or pyrithrins.
Sure Hydro guys have a free pass on this, but soil growers have no excuse.

Cayennemist said:

....almost what I said, more like, is your soil breaking it down with microorganisms to a soluble level. And Is fungi delivering it to the roots trying to cash it in for some plant sugars.

People don't need Cal-Mag unless they kill off the life in their soil with synthetic fertilizers/salt and pesticides like "mosquito dunks" or pyrithrins.
Sure Hydro guys have a free pass on this, but soil growers have no excuse.

Right! I do kinda suffer from the dilemma of needing to nuke any new soil that I add to my sheltered indoor growing environment in order to keep out novel pathogens and pests, and then not having as healthy a soil ecosystem as would be optimal... Any suggestions? Other than the obvious of inoculating with nematodes.

plaisir8 said:

Right! I do kinda suffer from the dilemma of needing to nuke any new soil that I add to my sheltered indoor growing environment in order to keep out novel pathogens and pests, and then not having as healthy a soil ecosystem as would be optimal... Any suggestions? Other than the obvious of inoculating with nematodes.

Compost Tea...

Back