• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I have problems!

Hello, I have problems:)

I'm a newbie to this pepper forum and I just joined after reading for about 3 mths and look, I'm already asking for help!:oops:

Hopefully someone know the answer to at least one of my problems.

Scroll Down for new Pics!

Problem #1: My peppers have purple stems. Is this even a problem?

Problem #2: Some of My peppers have true leaves that are very small (smaller than the cotyledons) and that curl upwards forming a "U" shape. They don't even resemble pepper leaves.

Problem #3: My peppers' leaves don't have that healthy dark green color. My Aji Dulce's cotyledons are yellowing at the tips and the yellow is working its way down (the first true leaves didn't even appear yet).

Problem #4: Some of my peppers look like their cotyledons & leaves are bruised (e.x. purple areas on the leaves/cotyledons)

My setup -
Containers: 4 inch pots and some styrofoam cups

Meduim: Soil (Miracle grow Cactus & Succulents mix)

Lighting: A 4 foot-4 Tube fluorescent fixture. The lights are T5 fluorescents which burn pretty hot (can't touch them when they're on) and are pretty bright (5,000 lumens per tube x 4 tubes = 20k lumens). The lights hang approximately 6 inches above my seedlings.

Temperature: Soil temp = ~75 degrees
Air temp at pepper leaves = ~ 80 Degrees

Types of Peppers:
Aji Dulce
Limon Grande
Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero
Chilihaucle Amarillio
Aji Santa Cruz
Congo Trinidad
capsicum Pubescens (Almost dead)

Seed Source: Peppermania

Note: I started peppers in their current containers so there has been no transplanting or anything

If more info is needed, let me know. I want to be as clear as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated:)

#0, you need to join a photo site such as Photobucket and upload your photos to there first, then you can put them on here.

#1 no problem that i know of, it's got to do with the light i think.

#2 Too much light would be my guess.

#3 Lack of trace minerals maybe, probably some kind of mineral deficiancy.

#4 Stop bashing your plants!!

Other people will help. Welcome to the forum mate :P

Welcome from Michigan.

problem#3- Does the mix your using have any ferts in it? second guess is you may be overwatering?

What does the (almost dead) pubescens look like?

Dale

yep pictures would help, join www.photobucket.com copy the link & paste in your post/reply, dont need to use the insert image link that THP gives.

problem #2 (your #1) purple stems is ok, also when leaves or pods turn purplish is also ok. its just a defense to light but the purple stem part is just normal.

Novacastrian said:
#0, you need to join a photo site such as Photobucket and upload your photos to there first, then you can put them on here.

#1 no problem that i know of, it's got to do with the light i think.

#2 Too much light would be my guess.

#3 Lack of trace minerals maybe, probably some kind of mineral deficiancy.

#4 Stop bashing your plants!!

Other people will help. Welcome to the forum mate :P

#4: No domestic violence problems here!

Also, thank you to all. I will heighten the light fixture from the plants and join photobucket

To Thepodpiper (noticed you from gardenweb)
My soil supossedly(can't spel) feeds for 3 months

Well, prepare for a bombardment of pictures so pop some popcorn, get a comfier chair, get a warm blanket/electric blanket, etc. (It's only 4 pics actually)

Small Leaves on orange Habs
PepperProblems2-22-09009.jpg

Capsicum Pubescens: Can he make it?
PepperProblems2-22-09022.jpg

My Setup: 4 T5 Fluorescent bulbs in a 4-foot fixture (20k Lumens)
PepperProblems2-22-09002.jpg

Pepper bruising & purple stem: no domestic violence maybe too much light?
PepperProblems2-22-09019.jpg

Sorry about some pics. The camera is great but the cameraman(me) is less than perfect

Hope this helps a little more
Also, Is the size ok?

What, like did someone die on every episode of that god forsaken show or what!
Talk about lost- in the head!

Only the red shrts died.
I've had pubescens that grew a side plant when the first sprout died.
Something I've never seen other peppers do.
It might depend on how old the sprout is.I don't really know because 1 out of 4 or 5 will grow a new plant if the roots want to I guess.

Me, I would take one of Derek's Chill Pills and relax. Plants grow from seeds outdoors where they get more than 100,000 lumens, so I doubt your 20,000 is hurting them. Too much heat, not enough or too much moisture - yeah. And one could propose that if the plants were under 500 lumens and then got 20K, they might get a shock, but if they started under that, they are use to it.

Reality - if plants really need special lights, nuits, a watering regimen to survive and thrive, we wouldn't have any weeds in our garden.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Reality - if plants really need special lights, nuits, a watering regimen to survive and thrive, we wouldn't have any weeds in our garden.

Foul Blasphemer!! Speak thee not against the Holy Nutes, or the great Lord Auxin shall smite thine own peppers!

wordwiz said:
Me, I would take one of Derek's Chill Pills and relax. Plants grow from seeds outdoors where they get more than 100,000 lumens, so I doubt your 20,000 is hurting them. Too much heat, not enough or too much moisture - yeah. And one could propose that if the plants were under 500 lumens and then got 20K, they might get a shock, but if they started under that, they are use to it.

Mike

Well, I germinate my seeds in a pitch-black room because it's the warmest room in my house (heater room). Once they germinate, I put them under the lights...

The lights have now been raised to 8 inches above the canopy

Back