I have waited a very long time for this

First off I am new to peppers and got some plants donated to me by two very generous folks on a fb pepper group. This is my first pod and might be my only pod to ripen this year.  Couple other plants have very tiny pods but winter is coming and not sure if they'll keep up indoors well yet.

This picture is of a Chocolate Scotch Bonnet that I didn'tthink would ever start coloring up.  I brought it inside 5 days ago and put in a 55 gallon aquarium along with a couple seedlings and my moruga bonchi under a T5 light from a jumpstart system. I am guessing the consistent warmth from inside had a major plan on this.  Just noticed a tiny amount of color yesterday.  Being a newbie I am extremely excited and cannot wait for this thing to be ready for tasting.

CF5vgKV.jpg

What was the first ripened pod that you grew?

A purple jalapeno I believe but that wasn't when I was really real serious about it so it wasn't a HUGE deal

First pod from a plant I grew from seed, however, was fairly recently. A Jamaican Yellow Squash. :)

Nice looking pod Browning!

illWill said:
A purple jalapeno I believe but that wasn't when I was really real serious about it so it wasn't a HUGE deal

First pod from a plant I grew from seed, however, was fairly recently. A Jamaican Yellow Squash. :)

Nice looking pod Browning!
I've been veggie gardening for a few years now.  I grew cayennes and sweet gypsy peppers this year but I'm not counting those since they were full of peppers when I got them.  This thing was a tiny twig.   Still small but it's producing haha  I plan to hit the peppers hard next year and most things will be isolated via bags

From seed it was serranos, I took seed from a pepper I bought at a grocery store and germed them, they grew true but they didn't put off a lot of pods, or get very bushy for that matter so they're getting tilled in after frost.  I'm trying to break my cycle of buying plants that are already started, I'm working on germinating some superhots for my winter grow right now.  I have some orange habs that are torturing me, I have ping pong sized green pods that haven't gotten any bigger in about two weeks and it's killing me!  I have a ton of them too, when they finally start turning I'm going to to be swimming in them.  That's an indoor plant too, so I'll have them year round.  My thais are constantly throwing pods, quickly too, I've trimmed them back to sticks three times and they come back so fast it's ridiculous.

OhioGrown said:
hey browning, I'll be down in Perry County this Saturday for my wife's b-day party. We'll be in New Lex.
Where are you from buddy?  I actually live in New Lexington. 

I grew up and currently live in Pataskala, but my wife grew up and graduated from New Lex in 1997. whats your name, i'll ask her if she knows you. I could help you out with a couple plants next year, I go down to New Lex almost every month for some inlaw event and/or holiday.

My name is Jack, but I went to Sheridan. Most of my time I lived in Somerset and just moved to New Lex a few years ago. My fiancee went to New Lex but she's much younger.  :)

IIRC the first pod I got to ripen was a Caribbean red hab that I grew last year (I'm pretty new to this, as well).
     Good looking pod! I love the way some peppers ripen unevenly like that - my chocolate habs are the same way. 
     I'm glad to see you have plans to overwinter your plant. From my experience, that's the most rewarding way to grow peppers in a temperate climate. In fact, my OWs are producing so well, I've kind of re-thought my approach to pepper growing. From now on, new plants (<1 year old) go in buckets to "fatten them up" for their second (payoff) year in the ground. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry if you only get a couple of pods off this plant. If you keep it healthy all winter, it'll reward you with a bountiful second year.

Back