food I hunger for dreams I'll never see

I cook for the four of us in the house. One likes Frank's hot sauce and the other two can't tolerate any pepper. That leaves me, chopping and snorting lines of habanero dust. As Richard Pryor said, I like it for the flavor.

Seriously, when you're cooking and you're a chilehead, but your customers are not, isn't it frustrating to have to stand on the brake pedal and restrain yourself from heating up the dish to your own taste, not theirs?

I made some habanero sauce. It separated to pulp at the bottom and clear hot vinegar at the top. I could suck up that clear fluid with a syringe (Tony Chachere injector) and inject something like chicken wings or maybe thighs, and season the outside with the usual stuff. But no one else in the house here would eat that.

Oh the lonesome life of the chilehead.  

There's a few approaches you can take.

1) Get some good pepper powders. You can easily spice up any meal without adding sauce that may ruin it, and you can always spice your own easily. It does not have to be during cooking.
2) Make sure to invest in a bunch of powders, from the mild to the extreme. Put the mild out on the table with the salt and pepper to encourage your family to use it. When and if they do you can up the heat in notches if you like, if they seem to adapt.
3) Get some hot sauces that are big on flavor but not too hot. Super mild even. Then you can cook with these sauces that they like, and spice your own after with the powders. The wings for example. You could make some killer peach hot sauce wings that barely have a tingle, and you spice yours with Scorpion powder after to make some super-killer wings. You may find they start asking for the medium powder to add to theirs. :D

lol, yup its hard to cater to people that don't like the heat and your tempted to add heat since you know it will be way better :)
Sweet paprika works well in dishes, the good stuff.

That was killer!

We had a nanny milch goat.

She was wonderful.

The mexican goats.

Not so much.

They stank to high heaven.

But they'd eat those chiles.

Like they were drugs.

True story.

i hear you! most of my household doesn`t want heat in the food so i add to my plate when ready. 

this band plays all over Key Largo but i like to catch them at The Caribbean Club. it`s a roadhouse type of bar that has been around for a long time and was the location of where the Humphrey Bogart movie "Key Largo" was filmed. 

https://youtu.be/xHuD_FwM2eQ

Back