• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant I just bought a pepper plant with tiny peppers in it

Hello everybody! This afternoon I bought a pepper plant but didn't ask what type it is. I tasted it and it was very hot. The peppers are tiny and grow upwards. I would love it if someone would tell me what it is. I'm also attaching two pictures of it. Thanks in advance!

ukJIm.jpg

QUOoN.jpg

I hope the pictures look good. My cellphone is not a very good camera and I had to use flash as it was dark outside.

It does look rather like a Thai type. Here's a link to a site with a Thai red:

http://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?SearchName=THAI%20RED&ProductCode=CHITHR&SizeID=&SearchMode=simple&LengthID=&WidthID=&HeightID=&OrientationID=&FoliageID=&FleshID=&UseID=&Color=&Location=&Keyword=THAI%20RED&HeatID=&TypeID=&DeterminancyID=&CategoryID=1,9&SeasonID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

Note I'm not saying I think it is a Thai red, just providing a comparison.

It looks in the lower pic that you have at least one yellow pod on there - is that right? Do you have any green ones - do they go from green to yellow to orange to red? That might be a good clue. Also, about how long are the pods? You describe as "tiny", but how many inches long in general? Also, how tall is the plant right now?

Each pepper is between 1 inch and 1.5 inches. There are a couple of (apparently new) green ones, some yellow ones and the reds you see in the pictures. It appears it goes from green to yellow and finally to red. The plant is pretty small. Not more than 8 inches tall. Thanks for your help!

IM gonna stick to my guns on this one that its an Ornamental, because one of the peps in the pick is lavender purple in color i personal dont know of any Thai that goes through a purple stage (i could be wrong), there are a few that turn black before an orangish stage and then finally turning red also taste will determine what it is too, if the flavor isn't too good its most likely an ornamental, im gonna follow this im very interested

thanks your friend Joe

Yeah, the purple is kind of weird. But it's very spicy and had a pretty good flavor, so it can't be a medusa. But yeah, I wonder about the purple spots. Does anyone know of an ornamental, spicy pepper?

Yeah, the purple is kind of weird. But it's very spicy and had a pretty good flavor, so it can't be a Medusa. But yeah, I wonder about the purple spots. Does anyone know of an ornamental, spicy pepper?

ok if taste good so its not Medusa because Medusa sucks for flavor there and is a bit bitter actually, i also didn't give it much thought,but the plant is too tall to be Medusa
well now i just dont know?? :surprised:

thanks your friend Joe

Some pods purple from sunlight, much like a suntan. My aji limons were almost all yellow with a purple area where exposed to the sun. My Jalapenos do this, too, so it's not just limited to yellow varieties. So that could be the simple explanation for the purple - I wouldn't take it necessarily as a sign of being an ornamental or not.

Also, keep in mind that "ornamental" is subjective. All of us like and dislike different foods. While it's a good rule-of-thumb that a pepper labelled as an "ornamental" probably won't taste good to most humans, that may not be true for you personally for any given variety. You may well like the flavor of lemon drops, for example, while I think they taste like when granny kisses you with old-lady lipstick on (ick), though lemon drops are not usually classified as "ornamental." Black Pearl is generally classified as an "ornamental", but I know some people like it (I have not tried Black Pearl.)

Maybe Nippon Taka?
There's a lot of similar peppers in gardening stores, most are hybrids and very resistant to diseases.
This one i'm growing is still alive in an unheated mini greenhouse despite freezing temp!

DSC04806_zpsc1926757.jpg

Cya

Datil

Back