food I just 'impulse purchased' a 1 lb piece of pork belly... What should I do with it?

This thing was just staring me in the face.  I had to buy it.

I am going to use this in some sort of appetizer type dish on Thanksgiving.  Two thoughts that popped into my head were a little pork belly taco or a crostini type thing with some sauteed mixed mushrooms and truffle oil.

What other ideas you guys and gals have for me?  :)  

Do you serve brussel sprouts for Thanksgiving?  It would be great with them.  It would also be good with the traditional green bean casserole

1243152_10200448683324012_1478742899_o.jpg

1264261_10200448680243935_689137864_o.jpg

Nigel said:
I like this recipe. I know, food channel crap, but in this case it works very well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/crispy-mustard-braised-pork-belly-recipe/index.html
Not so much the last couple of years, but I have been religiously watching foodnetwork since college. So maybe 17 years with that channel. I honesty consider watching that station my culinary institute. Lol
queequeg152 said:
what is pork belly exactly? is it just un cut bacon?
You got it. think of a 1 lb slice of bacon.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Do tell.... How did you achieve those crispy wonderful edges?

If you want something different...
Spaghetti alla carbonara. "Guanciale" (cheek lard) would be even better, but bacon is still wonderful:

PASTE_SECCHE_PAG42.jpg

I must say if that bacon isn't already spiced could be difficult to have the correct taste...

Essegi said:
If you want something different...
Spaghetti alla carbonara. "Guanciale" (cheek lard) would be even better, but bacon is still wonderful:

PASTE_SECCHE_PAG42.jpg

I must say if that bacon isn't already spiced could be difficult to have the correct taste...
That looks great. And from time to time my butcher does have guanciale. :)

Husker21 said:
That looks great. And from time to time my butcher does have guanciale.  :)
Nice! I want to try with it too! Normally i use bacon because it's easier to find. If you ask a roman (they are quite jealous of this recipe) they say guanciale is better and the original recipe. Maybe this weekend...
Anyway have fun with that belly! Of course pictures are needed!:D

No pics... mainly because I pussed out and went with an easy/quick prep for this.  I popped the belly on raft of carrots.  I blasted it at 500 for about 25 minutes.  Turned the heat down to 400 and let it go for an hour or so.  I had a light brown crackling going on.  Looking back I would have turned the heat down lower and let it cook slower. I would also pop it under the broiler to finish it off.  I just served it next to some scrambled eggs and baguette.  Next time I will get more creative with it.  :)

Back