• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

I need to get better about reading ingredients

I had vowed to never buy another extract sauce, but due to laziness in reading all of the ingredients, I managed to pick one up by accident.

I glanced through the ingredients, but failed to notice oleoresin capsicum... I bought a bottle of Alberta Crude sauce along with several other sauces at a specialty shop today.  Has anyone here tried this one?  If so, what are your opinions?

I read a couple of reviews online, and most people seemed to like it, so hopefully it wont be too bad...

a50.jpg

I wont be able to try it for a few days... I will try to post a followup next week sometime.

lol.  Patience, my friend... :)

I have a two day drive coming up, and no way to keep it cold.  I am sure it would be fine, but I am always paranoid about food spoiling.  ;)

I honestly don't think these things would spoil out of the fridge.  I doubt the diner puts all the bottles of tobasco in the fridge

Like I said, I am paranoid.  I wont even drink milk the day before the expiration.  :D

But, you are probably right.  Depending on what we have for dinner, I might give it a shot.  

I hear you - I called Dave's once to ask the question, the rep told me they have to say 2 years for an expiration date, but the stuff would last at least 5 because of the vinegar.  He said as long as it smells ok and does not have any mold around the rim, its probably fine.

Speaking of Dave's - and this may just be me - the Ghost Pepper version has extract in it, but I don't get that metallic flavor - same with Blair's After Death, so I guess it can be done.  Now, Dave's Insanity tasted like a tin can when I tried it way beack when so I guess it varies by sauce.

ajcstr said:
I hear you - I called Dave's once to ask the question, the rep told me they have to say 2 years for an expiration date, but the stuff would last at least 5 because of the vinegar.  He said as long as it smells ok and does not have any mold around the rim, its probably fine.

They actually said this? 

Strange. My state authority gives me a very specific shelf life (e.g. 3 years) and I would never, ever even suggest to anyone that it would be good for a minute longer due to liability concerns. 

I'm amazed that someone from Dave's would tell you it was ok to eat their product past the expiration date - seems irresponsible at best. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

They actually said this? 

Strange. My state authority gives me a very specific shelf life (e.g. 3 years) and I would never, ever even suggest to anyone that it would be good for a minute longer due to liability concerns. 

I'm amazed that someone from Dave's would tell you it was ok to eat their product past the expiration date - seems irresponsible at best. 

Well, With Dave's there is no expiration date on the bottle, just a code that tells when it was produced.

Still doesn't make sense...Everything has a shelf life. The code you're describing is an encoded version of data, likely a lot ID. The lot ID is traceable to a batch, which has an expiration date.

I'm just not sure the rep you spoke with was credible, because every food vendor I know cites the exact expiration date if asked. 

Yeah, the code was a mfg year and day as well as a lot rather than an expiration date. I agree with you though, they should probably not be saying that.  I can tell you I opened a bottle of Mad Dog 357 ghost on Super Bowl Sunday 2010 and its still going strong, still smells ok too.  If its not done by next Super Bowl I'll probably retire it.

I'm not going to mention another company's name, but I called them and they said I can go a year beyond their expiration date - this one had an actual expiration date (this probably jives with the three year period you mentioned earlier).

Shelf-stable products, as in hot sauces, legally, have no expiration date, according to 7th Circuit Judge Richard Posner.

An entrepreneur bought 1.6 million "expired" bottles of Henri's Salad Dressing, and extended the expiration date by a year and resold them. He was convicted, then it was reversed at The 7th Circuit, stating they were shelf-stable and had no expiration date.

Posner said Sorensen repeatedly referred to the “best when purchased by” date as the date the dressing would expire. That’s not true, the judge wrote.

"The term 'expiration date' ... on a food product ... has a generally understood meaning: It is the date after which you shouldn't eat the product," Posner said. "Salad dressing, however, or at least the type of salad dressing represented by Henri's, is what is called 'shelf stable'; it has no expiration date."

src: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/posner_dresses_down_prosecutor_in_salad_dressing_dispute/

If it is not perishable, the date means very little. If you called and they said it is fine, then this is a shelf-stable product.

Manufacturers, save that in case you ever need it. That is court precedent. :)

That is amazing THP - my state inspector must never have heard of that, because I have a state certified shelf-stable product with a 3-year shelf life.  Weird. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
That is amazing THP - my state inspector must never have heard of that, because I have a state certified shelf-stable product with a 3-year shelf life.  Weird. 

I would be amazed if I had a bottle of your sauce that lasted more than 3 weeks before being empty, let alone 3 years!  :D  -- Perhaps if you sold it in 50 gallon drums........  ;)
//back to the original topic... :)

I just tried this sauce, and it is actually really good.  I don't get any of the typical downsides of extract sauce [metallic, bitter, etc.]  -- It starts off sweet, and finishes with a very pleasant burn.  I guess I got lucky on this one.  :)

Just to folow up on some of my earlier posts regarding shelf life, this information is straight from McIlhenny's FAQ section:

Our Original Red Sauce has a shelf life of 5 years when unopened and stored in a cool place, but due to the potential for color change based on light and temperature exposure, we say that it is “best by” the third year.
Our Buffalo Style Hot Sauce, Garlic Pepper Sauce and Habanero Sauce have a shelf life of 2 years.
Our Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce, Chipotle Sauce and SWEET & Spicy Sauce have a shelf life of 18 months.
Any TABASCO® brand product will be good throughout its respective shelf life, even after the bottle has been opened. Once a bottle of sauce is opened, the color may change, but the product won’t spoil. Refrigeration almost always helps to slow this process but isn’t required.

ajcstr said:
Once a bottle of sauce is opened, the color may change, but the product won’t spoil. Refrigeration almost always helps to slow this process but isn’t required.
I like how they have dates but then basically say it will never spoil and doesn't need refrigeration. :) This much we know. How old is your Tabasco? ;)

Shelf life dates have a lot to do with inventory tracking and offering the freshest products (concerning possible degradation of product integrity as in color etc.). Consumer confidence goes in line with that.

But there you have a major company stating no refrigeration necessary, and it won't spoil.

Franks:

Quality, freshness and flavor are top priorities at Frank's RedHot. You may have noticed that we recently changed to a BEST WHEN USED BY DATE coding system on our packaging. This is not an expiration date. The date stamped on shoulder or the bottom of the bottle is the date we recommend that you use the product by to assure the product's optimum flavor, freshness and consistent quality. The product will generally maintain good flavor quality for a few months after that date if refrigerated. Refrigeration will help maintain its flavor; however, it is not necessary if you prefer your Frank's RedHot to be room temperature.

Yup hot sauces are better at room temp for sure. For temperature as well as consistency.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yup hot sauces are better at room temp for sure. For temperature as well as consistency.

I agree 100% but why do they even put the warning in bold letters on there, then say it doesn't matter?

They are saying either is fine, but in the fridge you will have the optimal product. Only makes sense they would say that since a fridge is a controlled environment, and they don't know what climate you live in, or how you are storing (in the sun, in a cabinet). So they are saying in the controlled environment of a refrigerator you will have optimal freshness. But... either is fine... lol. 

I'm on another thread where somebody is saying they keep the hot sauce in the car, so I am asking how long they do that for.

Back