• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I need to learn from this years mistakes!!!!

So Im bummed out. All of my super hots either only have 1 pod on them or none at all. The only exception is one fatalii plant that has many on them. I now know my pots are to small. I'll change that for next year.

Is it worth transplanting any of them now in zone 5 or is it pointless too?

Is it worth overwinterizing any of these plants or will they be damned next year as well (even if I put in bigger containers)? Can a 2nd year plant learn how to put pods out if the first year they didn't at all?

I have 2 ghost plants and only 1 pod. This pod has been here for a month and still green.

I'm so pissed off and bummed out. This was my first year so I know I have a lot to learn but its discouraging. I was so excited to try all these peppers for the first time.. Guess I'll have to wait till next year. At least I got to try a a fatalii for the first time.... Boy oh boy that melted my face.

Just venting

The problem may not be the container size. I am in the UP here in Michigan, and I had all of mine in 3 gallon buckets. They are doing lovely, even though I had some hiccups. Hundreds of pods. As far as the Ghosts ripening, I've had pods on my plants for upwards of 2 months, and only a few are ripening now. It just takes longer for ripening here in Michigan! There are many factors to take into account as far as pod volume goes. How much sun do they receive during the day? What kind of soil mix are you using? Did you supplement with any fertilizers, and if so, what kinds and what are the NPK ratings of it/them?

Traditionally, pod set and volume is a function of Phosphorus and Potassium. The Phosphorus is for root development, which allows the plant to uptake more nutrients from the soil, and also for blossom set. This is where the fertilizer comes into play. If you have high Potash soil mix, the plant will set more pods, and you must also have good Calcium to strengthen the pods, which will prevent cracking, blossom end rot, or other rotting diseases/deficiencies.

You can pot them up and grow indoors with Hps light! Good luck! I hope things turn out better for ya. I have learned some things this yr too! Next yr should turn out better! For the both of us! I only have 2 out of 5 plants producing

write down everything you did wrong. then next season start a journal entry for your plants and make sure you write down everything you do and when, this really helped me to figuring out watering schedule, feeding. and get them in the biggest pots you have room for

You've already been given some good advice. In my experience, Bhuts are slower to produce pods than many other varieties. Try growing some other varieties that will produce earlier and you won't get so bummed waiting for the Bhuts to do something. This year I've been impressed with Congo Trinidad and Jamaican Red Hots, to name just two, because they put on plenty of pods that ripened easily. So, you've got something to show for your efforts, and won't get all frustrated waiting for the slowpoke Bhuts.

Tom

I also have Trinidad Scorpoins BT , fatali, Bhuts and red 7 for the first time and some are 6 feet tall. These have not produced 10 pods total for these 6 plants. I also have 6 Trinidad cherry peppers that have produced very well.
All are in 5 gal pots getting the same ferts, light, water, same loaction. I just don't get what could I be doing wrong or can these variites be that different. I am in Florida and I know the heat is extreme but that would affect all the plants , right?

I also have Trinidad Scorpoins BT , fatali, Bhuts and red 7 for the first time and some are 6 feet tall. These have not produced 10 pods total for these 6 plants. I also have 6 Trinidad cherry peppers that have produced very well.
All are in 5 gal pots getting the same ferts, light, water, same loaction. I just don't get what could I be doing wrong or can these variites be that different. I am in Florida and I know the heat is extreme but that would affect all the plants , right?

Not necessarily, we had absolutely crazy temps here in the Midwest this year, my Butch T's were putting on pods when the bhuts were dropping blossoms like crazy. Temps are ideal now and my bhuts are podding up real heavy for the 2nd round and the Butch T's are dropping like crazy. Same soil, same ferts, same everything.

My first guess to your problems would be too much nitrogen, considering the plants are so large, but that's just a guess.

The problem may not be the container size. I am in the UP here in Michigan, and I had all of mine in 3 gallon buckets. They are doing lovely, even though I had some hiccups. Hundreds of pods. As far as the Ghosts ripening, I've had pods on my plants for upwards of 2 months, and only a few are ripening now. It just takes longer for ripening here in Michigan! There are many factors to take into account as far as pod volume goes. How much sun do they receive during the day? What kind of soil mix are you using? Did you supplement with any fertilizers, and if so, what kinds and what are the NPK ratings of it/them?

Traditionally, pod set and volume is a function of Phosphorus and Potassium. The Phosphorus is for root development, which allows the plant to uptake more nutrients from the soil, and also for blossom set. This is where the fertilizer comes into play. If you have high Potash soil mix, the plant will set more pods, and you must also have good Calcium to strengthen the pods, which will prevent cracking, blossom end rot, or other rotting diseases/deficiencies.

See that's what I need to educate myself better with. NPK ratings and what is best to use. I also live in Michigan, about 45 minutes north of Detroit. I checked out that thread on fertilizers and it seemed everyone had their own theories and it actually confused me more. My brother lives in Florida and he knows this pepper guru. He has beautiful plants that he keeps in 10-12 gallon pots and he uses a 6 6 6 NPK ratio. I'm not sure if ratios are better in different grow zones. I need to find a good product(s) that will work great here in Michigan. What ratio do you use or what kind of products?

Thank you everyone for the advice and for helping me remember experience is the best teacher. I hope next year will be better for me and my beloved chilis'.

I start with a soil mix called Mel's Mix, which is one you mix yourself. It's from the Square Foot Gardening book by Mel Bartholomew. You take equal parts Vermiculite, compost, and peat moss and mix them well, wetting as you mix (I use a big tarp to mix it on). I amended my leftover mix from last year's veggie garden with some blood meal and also some cypress mulch, just to aerate a little more. However, adding the mulch, I also had to water those plants more often, so it's a drawback. Also, if you haven't done so, I would highly recommend at the very least positioning trash barrels or something large to collect rainwater. I did that this year, and bottled up as much as I could in washed cat litter jugs, and the plants love the non-chlorinated-ness of it waaaaaaay more than tapwater. I continuously bottle up the collected water (which I have to do today, before it decides to rain again...), and give them all a drink. I usually only water once a week or so, but always play by eye. If the plants look a little droopy, water thoroughly before they wilt too much.

I also use Botanicare's products. I started off with ProGrow, Cal-Mag, and Liquid Karma. Once I had used up the ProGrow, and the plants were starting to flower, I added ProBloom to the mix, and they have just taken off. It's not some magical ingredient, though, I cannot overemphasize enough that it is a combination of all the things I listed, plus a strong desire to continue to improve my methods. It is only my second year growing chilies, and I still have a long way to go. Here is what my garden looked like as of last week:

Back