• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I present to you...

Behold, the worlds smallest ripe orange habanero!
I pulled this cute little pod off the plant today, I have no idea what caused it to ripen at such a size.
15fn04k.jpg

Next to a pod I pulled off the same plant about two weeks ago
zxkv2o.jpg

Yes, it is the size of a chiltepin
2moce88.jpg

Please post your own pictures of oddly sized pods!

Rofl... so cute.

I had a tobasco pepper that ripened when it was about the size of the led of a sharpened wooden pencil.

I popped that tiny thing in my mouth and it was still overwhelmingly hot.... hahaha

Halbrust said:
Save the seeds, you now have the "Habanito"
You'll make millions!
I don't think that's quite how it works! :D   I wonder how many seeds are in there, now that you mention it...

Micro peppers make good snacking while harvesting. I see more of them early in the season and some in the fall.

Ahem: Ees leetle weenter pepper. 
I have a couple of them like that, but nowhere near as small. Exept for maybe little mini douglah that turned half white also, but I don't have pictures of him because my dad put the camera somewhere and it went mushy before he found it. I wanna see a winter tepin now.

cruzzfish said:
I have a couple of them like that, but nowhere near as small. Exept for maybe little mini douglah that turned half white also, but I don't have pictures of him because my dad put the camera somewhere and it went mushy before he found it. I wanna see a winter tepin now.
I might have one of those lying around, the plant sure produced its fair share of undersized pods.

Funny enough, all the Orange Habs I harvested last year were like that.....

I can only attribute it to the plant being young, and being left outdoors.... I'm overwintering the plant, so hopefully will get regular size next harvest.

Is not a young plant issue. I have a 7 pod giant doing that at the moment, and it's first pods where normal size. My habs also went to small size to start, then normal, then back to small for this year. Feb start to late October makes large pod, November to January means small.

cruzzfish said:

Here you go, winter chiltepin:

2z7ri4g.jpg

wia95.jpg

Wow. You beat my record for smallest pod. Last year, a hab made one so small that it was about 1.5x the size of a BB. This looks even smaller.

I get a lot of those. I only have plants in my windows and I let them live from year to year, so if I get a short period of sunshine early in the year, some plants will flower and fruit. When the sun then decides to take a few weeks off, I end up with a bunch of the tiniest 7 pods and habs imaginable. Feels like a bit of a waste.

I actually prefer eating these mini habs to the full sized ones.  I don't care for the flavor of orange habaneros, but these are less pungent and a little sweeter, they also have more tolerable heat!  I've heard that 7 pots can be notorious for putting out tiny pods when you don't want them to.

Back