• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

i probably am a weenie but...

Funny how even the small peppers can put out some heat, l tried a wild brazil and it just looks like a small yellow pea stuck to a stem and it was hotter then i expected.

I got that with the Camara, they don't look like much so I popped 3-4 of those in my mouth and before I could swallow it started to burn. Weird when your eating a bunch of supers :crazy:
Aaron

I had a few Bahamian peppers a little while ago that were given to me. They are the size of a tobasco but red and a little more than twice as hot. It is interesting how something so small can produce peppers that hot.

When eating peppers raw, it seems to me that anything hotter than 1-300,000 (regular hab) is more painful than fun. At least that is where my tollerance is at. I see a use for the super hots in cooking or hot sauce making, but not eating raw.

JHR you're full of baloney. "Scorpions are a pleasant, challenging heat..." There ain't nothing pleasant about eating a scorpion. Unless you can sit there with smile on your face the entire time you're chewing and for 10 minutes after I got to call your bluff dude.

Scorps ARE pretty good to eat, but they linger for a long time. Bhuts don't though,they kaboom and then pass. I can only take little nips at a time in order to enjoy it.

JHR you're full of baloney. "Scorpions are a pleasant, challenging heat..." There ain't nothing pleasant about eating a scorpion. Unless you can sit there with smile on your face the entire time you're chewing and for 10 minutes after I got to call your bluff dude.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I like the burn from scorpions, and my tolerance is certainly higher than most by quite a large margin.

Agreed. Operative word there is "challenging".

Anything that is considered a "challenge", usually isn't "pleasant". Unless it's a something like a word game, or knitting a sweater for Pamela Anderson.

I've built a decent tolerance but sincerely i think that for really enjoying supers flavor you'd better mix them with something milder.
I've recently done a cayenne+naga powder (ratio is like 20:1) that tastes pretty good.
Daily cooking with supers on their own will simply kill any other flavor even if you can tolerate the heat level.

Just my 2c

Datil

I've built a decent tolerance but sincerely i think that for really enjoying supers flavor you'd better mix them with something milder.
I've recently done a cayenne+naga powder (ratio is like 20:1) that tastes pretty good.
Daily cooking with supers on their own will simply kill any other flavor even if you can tolerate the heat level.

Just my 2c

Datil
Really depends on the quantity of the supers.
That's the nice thing about them, a very little goes a long way.
I like to mix them also, and figuring out which goes best with what will take me years to figure out.
Tolerance does build with time, as now a jalapeno tastes like a spicy pickle, and I eat thai dragons and chile tepins straight off the plant just because I love the flavor.

This comes back to individual response to capsaicin. Some people just feel the heat more than others. I bet there is someone out there who is completely unaffected by it, lacking the chemical receptors or whatever. Personally, I'm at the Habanero level of tolerance, anything more than that is unpleasant, but can give a endorphin rush, which is fun, and sometimes worth the discomfort. I still get the damned hiccups every time I eat anything really hot, so that kind of takes the fun out of it.

The girl in this video is a champ.

http://youtu.be/7MMj5NMRpK0

As A kid I grew up eating hot pepper mainly drinking the hot vinegar and munching a little chiltepin, but raw peppers always seem to be a bit harsh no matter what the size, Powders are better as I can go up or down on just how much I want. With raw habs burns the underside of my tongue, but Bhuts just go BAM and my whole mouth lights up and even makes my gums hurt.
I just can't say about TS or Primo's as I have not eaten any of them yet, but will be getting some soon.

Go Gabby Go Gabby Go

We'll have to agree to disagree. I like the burn from scorpions, and my tolerance is certainly higher than most by quite a large margin.

Sorry buddy I just can get my head around a Scorpion being a "pleasant, challenging heat". To me that would imply a person sitting at a table, chewing slowly, a nice smile on their face saying things like "yummy" and "man this is so good". Things I might say eating a piece of chocolate with some jalapeno in it.

You know what I'm working up to here right? Ya have to have an inkling. How about you video yourself eating one? Put me in my place and remove all doubts you're a heat eating machine. Or do you already have a few video's out there? Love to see them if you do.

Now what's this about knitting a sweater for Pam Anderson? Be happy to take the measurements. :P

the chick in the video is a total badass. Going back for the 2nd bite was impressive. No snot, no profuse sweating - smiling and speaking clearly the whole time. I'm very impressed.

I have seen a video of an Indian woman rubbing Bhut Jolokia's in her eyes and is not affected.
Proof that some people walk the earth without a brain! :crazy:

I think scorpions taste nasty (I only got Butch Ts though). What taste good to me are the jolokia landraces, 7 pots, and yellow 7 pots / yellow Scotch bonnets.

I have tabascos growing too. Not a fan of the taste, but they are a good snack for heat.

Back