• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I Review The Fatalii

Wow, sounds like you really got a hot one there. That is still my favorite all time pepper to date. They also do very well here in So Cal. Good review.

Cool review. I'm getting some Fatalli seeds soon and hope to be doing a review on it next season. I figure if I'm gonna laugh at the facial expressions when the heat "hits", I should at least give you guys the same courtesy.  ;)

For all of my tongue's battle scars, I really enjoy this pepper. Virtually everyone who tries a decent phenotype of it echoes your sentiment that it's hotter than the average hab.

Thoughtful review as well. I'm always most informed by any pod review that extends its descriptions of flavor profile beyond the familiar terms. I mentioned this in another thread once where there generally seems to be a poverty of terms used to describe chili flavors, so the net effect is this failure to distinguish things by taste descriptions alone. Certainly one part of that is no faut of the reviewer in that a species (say chinense, for example) impart familiar hallmark notes throughout the family varietals. But there are subtle distinctions to be sure. I think the more refined our palates become outside of pepper eating the more our subjective vocabulary improves.

This all said, I agree on the citrus-forward taste of the Fatalli. The few I've eaten had a kind of bursting satsuma mandarin quality right away followed with a surprisingly assertive heat.

Very nice review. I've never grown fatalii before and hadn't eaten one until this year, will definitely be growing a couple next year. Even though they aren't a super hot I still enjoyed the flavor and ordered a variety of fatalii types from Judy to include in next years constantly expanding grow. Thanks for sharing, very descriptive on the flavor.

Nice review man!

I actually tried my first Fatalii the other day and have to agree with you 100% on the heat (very, at least to me, very near to the ghost I'm also growing) and the taste/aroma as well.... kinda "fake" citrusy but way better taste than some habanero's I tried...

UrbanNoir75 said:
For all of my tongue's battle scars, I really enjoy this pepper. Virtually everyone who tries a decent phenotype of it echoes your sentiment that it's hotter than the average hab.

Thoughtful review as well. I'm always most informed by any pod review that extends its descriptions of flavor profile beyond the familiar terms. I mentioned this in another thread once where there generally seems to be a poverty of terms used to describe chili flavors, so the net effect is this failure to distinguish things by taste descriptions alone. Certainly one part of that is no faut of the reviewer in that a species (say chinense, for example) impart familiar hallmark notes throughout the family varietals. But there are subtle distinctions to be sure. I think the more refined our palates become outside of pepper eating the more our subjective vocabulary improves.

This all said, I agree on the citrus-forward taste of the Fatalli. The few I've eaten had a kind of bursting satsuma mandarin quality right away followed with a surprisingly assertive heat.
Cheers!

Actually im a brewer and beer judge so my palate is pretty sensitive. it is in my nature to pick out flavours and talk about them as they evolve. i try to pinpoint stuff as much as i can, which is bloody difficult when there is this huge amount of pain going on.

georgej said:
Cheers!

Actually im a brewer and beer judge so my palate is pretty sensitive. it is in my nature to pick out flavours and talk about them as they evolve. i try to pinpoint stuff as much as i can, which is bloody difficult when there is this huge amount of pain going on.
Sorry for jumping off-topic, but How do you become a beer judge? I want in on that!! :beer:

Back