commercial-kichen I think I have a kitchen!!!!

Very cool! Best of luck with it!

:woohoo:

Bit steep - see if you can negotiate the price a bit - commit to x # of hours/month. & see if they'll take $20 or $18. All 3 kitchens I was looki to rent were willing to negotiate a bit...some more than others. Best of luck!

It may be cheaper to rent by the month or quarter.  I would definitely check if that option is available.  Also, I know I'll get some flack for this, but you can also look into using church or VFW kitchens.  I have a friend who uses a licensed church kitchen for $50/day.  Fully licensed and approved by the Regional Food Processor Inspector.

I work for a homeless shelter. Our kitchens are inspected by both DHEC and Veterans Affairs (we house veterans so the VA gets involved). Despite being a homeless shelter, we have one of the cleanest commercial kitchens around and still pump out roughly 500 meals a day.

We have one operation that uses our stuff and it doesn't cost her much. I think her deal was basically a few donations of food and whatever else. She comes in after we serve lunch so it's rather dead. We get people all the time wanting use our kitchens but need a full day or two. That just can't be done.

But if you have a place like that around you, that isn't sketchy, is clean and has a schedule you can work around, it might be possible to get it cheap.

In South Carolina, any facility that serves the public must be DHEC inspected. I'm certain most health departments have similar requirements. Churches here get a pass because they don't technically serve the public but rather their parish or whatever you call them. Even two of my kitchens get a pass because we only serve the public out of just one and the other two are used only for residents.

If you have a food truck contingent in your area, ask them if they use a commissary type kitchen somewhere. That could be another resource.

Good idea about the Food Truck commissary idea Mike~.  If someone can use your kitchen in the evening hours, that would be a good match for both the kitchen and the user.  There are many commercial kitchen lurking about with VFW/Elks/Churches/Community centers.  People just have to find one that works for both.

I've also used a shared-use community kitchen and was able to get a better rate by signing  up for a certain amount of hours per month.  Don't remember how much it was, and every kitchen is different.  And I was also able to pro-rate or average them out through the year.  I paid for xx hours every month and in the winter I used x hours but in the summer I used xxx hours. 

It's worth asking about.  If you were negotiating with a commercial building landlord, you'd be asking for all kinds of concessions, builds, purchases, free-months-of-rent if signing a year's lease.... 

The rates do go down for "Off-Peak" hours and if you commit to 30 or more hours a month and the $24 is for the bake/cook/bottle station...The prep station is $20 per peak hour ($16 off-peak)....I would probably rent during Off-Peak hours to save on money but I am also a night person anyway.

Back