• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

I thought this was a giant choco hab... having doubts

I acquired these seeds from buddy who had ProdigalSon written on the bag.  I started these seeds in July I think and they have been indoors and under a light ever since.  These are the firs pods that are ripening.  Do these look true to their name?  Not complaining or worried about it.  Just stoked I have fresh winter pods.  One of the pics it looks like the pod 'wants' to be brown but I dont know if that is the lighting.  lol  This plant was been pumping out flowers that have hints of purple on them.  If you go to my GLOG there are better pics of the flowers.  Thanks guys and gals.

006_zps3eec3007.jpg

002_zps7284655a.jpg

buddy said:
if they don't grow out as giant chocolate habs I  mislabeled the seeds.  everything that I have ever got from John has grown true.  sorry if they're not what you expected.  PM your address and I'll send you a different variety.  Thanks and take care.

TJP

buddy, no worries man.  I tried to convey that in my OP.  I have winter pods is all I care about.  I thought adding the path the seeds took to my soil might clue someone in on the ID.  These pods are smallish, but I think that is more from not keeping up on my nutes as diligently as I should have.  Looking forward to tasting one of these buggers.

As for flower production... there are a ton.... but I have had crazy flower drop.  I haven't been sweating it since the goal is to plant this guy outside this spring and create a monster!  :)  

i just ate one of the tiny pods that was ripe.  Clearly a chinense flavor.  About orange hab hot.  It was bordering on orange and red in color.  It was tiny but there were NO seeds.  There is a much larger one still on the plant that is about to reach full ripeness.  I am going to see if that guy has seeds when I chomp it tomorrow.  :)

These pods have been a nice winter treat.  I have eaten about 6 or so dime to nickel sized pods.  One thing I noticed, so far none of the pods have had seeds?  How often does that happen?  And why does that happen?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Perhaps the pods are too immature to have any seeds. 

I suspect you are right.  The pods are bright orange almost red.  So I am picking them thinking they are ripe.  But the pods are small.  Once the color change happens, how long can I leave them on the plant?

Husker21 said:

I suspect you are right.  The pods are bright orange almost red.  So I am picking them thinking they are ripe.  But the pods are small.  Once the color change happens, how long can I leave them on the plant?
Too many factors to guess but I am sure someone will say until just before they rot... :high:

I think size matters in this case.muhahahahha

No seeds because winter. Too small, seeds cannot develop. Next crop, you get real seeds in them because the peppers will get larger. I have the same problem around now. As to the color, that can change in summer also. Looks like a normal habanero to me so far.

cruzzfish said:
No seeds because winter. Too small, seeds cannot develop. Next crop, you get real seeds in them because the peppers will get larger. I have the same problem around now. As to the color, that can change in summer also. Looks like a normal habanero to me so far.

Thanks cruzz.  Whatever they are they are tasty.   :)  The next set of pods coming out look larger.  

What part of CT are you in?  I am in SW CT.

So the saga continues.  After a long winter putting out small grape sized red pods with no seeds (scroll up to see a pic), this plant is now putting out pods that are shaped as seen below.  They are all green and purple and will probably ripen to red like the winter pods.  Any ideas based on the shape of the pods.  I have a ton of these pods and this plant is huge!  I don't care what the pod really is I just like to tell people about the when I share them.  Thanks.

gallery_8228_124_87064.jpg

Back