• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Iceland Poppies?

I'm thinking of planting Iceland poppies to attract bees & butterflies to polinate my peppers.
Is that a good idea? Are they compadible with peppers?

001-2.jpg

i have poppies growing naturally here but i find they bloom in late august early september, now i might be my cooler weather and the fact i pay no attention to them except for when they bloom. perhaps marigolds would be a better attractor.

i have poppies growing naturally here but i find they bloom in late august early september, now i might be my cooler weather and the fact i pay no attention to them except for when they bloom. perhaps marigolds would be a better attractor.

hmm that might be a good idea. I like the bright orangee. would you say that is the attractor that you most recommend ?

dude dude the bees will find pretty much everything that
has flowers on it. right now the starfire jasmine are getting alot of attention.

pretty much all flowering plants have their time

the real trick is keeping the bees and such
from screwing up your controlled pollination efforts!

they will easily bring forth the fruits of your labors
it is just the pures and crosses you want to know who is the father(and mother)

edited because of typo

Correct me if I am wrong veteran pepper growers but I don't think you need bees or any bugs to pollinate peppers. They are self pollinating are they not?

Correct me if I am wrong veteran pepper growers but I don't think you need bees or any bugs to pollinate peppers. They are self pollinating are they not?
They are, and effective ones as well. but, people like to have pollinating insects. it helps.
About the poppies. well, poppies are famous for attracting aphids, so that's something you should really consider. also there are better species of poppies to grow if you choose to. I see you're from California, well, try and get your hands on some Eschscholzia californica AKA the California Poppy. it's native to your area, so you know it doesn't need much care, it's your official state flower(!), looks gorgeous and has... mmm... other uses as well.

Good luck with that dude.

dude dude the bees will find pretty much everything that
has flowers on it. right now the starfire jasmine are getting alot of attention.

pretty much all flowering plants have their time

the real trick is keeping the bees and such
from screwing up your controlled pollination efforts!

they will easily bring forth the fruits of your labors
it is just the pures and crosses you want to know who is the father(and mother)

edited because of typo

alriight & yeaah i guess peppers also self pollinatee too riight?

I think thats truee, but bees and stuff can just speed up the process.

They are, and effective ones as well. but, people like to have pollinating insects. it helps.
About the poppies. well, poppies are famous for attracting aphids, so that's something you should really consider. also there are better species of poppies to grow if you choose to. I see you're from California, well, try and get your hands on some Eschscholzia californica AKA the California Poppy. it's native to your area, so you know it doesn't need much care, it's your official state flower(!), looks gorgeous and has... mmm... other uses as well.

Good luck with that dude.

haha yeaah aphids I dont like hearring that D:
& yeaah mabye California poppies would be better.
& hahah other uses xD

I've allowed myself to merge your several continuous replies.
There is a multi-quote button next to the reply button. simply check all the posts you want to comment on and then add a reply. this will quote all of the posts you selected. ;)

I've allowed myself to merge your several continuous replies.
There is a multi-quote button next to the reply button. simply check all the posts you want to comment on and then add a reply. this will quote all of the posts you selected. ;)

ohh thanks. I didn't know about that. I will use that from now on.

Back