• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

ID needed - 3 varieties from markets

Hi,

maybe someone can ID these peppers i have...

24415349546_71f304e003_c.jpg

Found it this summer on a market in Malaga, Spain, it was called "Pimiento rojo", which only means "red pepper". It's sweet, no heat, i just liked how the pods look like, so i'll try to sow the seeds, and see what will happen.

23814765173_bb5fe74aa2_c.jpg

These are also from the market in Malaga, they were in a small plastic box, labelled "mexican chilli peppers". Some nice heat, unfortunately they were a bit old, and some fungus started to grow on it, so i just tried a few, saved the seeds, and had to throw away the rest.

23814764743_a38fce525a_c.jpg

And the last one is from India, a friend brought these for me from a market. As i googled i've found "teja chili" name but i'm not sure.

Thanks for any help :)

i believe your 3rd pic is of the very common kashmiri mirch. they are sold around the world in really big bags, that's how common they are. i find them here in both prepackaged sealed brand name bags and in custom baggies where a distributor puts them into baggies just to lower the price.

the kashmiri mirch is not very hot and can easily replace common bagged cheap cayenne bagged powder. fresh it tastes like a weak cayenne.

my advice, don't waste your time growing it, just by the dried item and grind them up for powder or if you are in a really good east indian store, they will have the dried pods and a few items over the packaged ground product.

just like the common dundicutt pepper or sometimes called the "dried round chile". described as the pakistan scotch bonnet, they are nothing like a scotch bonnet and are an annuum and taste like one too. the fresh version, like the kashmiri has that cayenne undertone. the dried version however takes on a very nutty flavour. my advice, if confronted with round chile(dundicutt) is by them dry.  the fresh version is packed with seed from the top of the pod to the end.

good luck.

sonka said:
Thank you all for your answers!
The second i'm sure is not a manzano, manzanos are C. pubescens, and these had white seeds.

23835914714_9a1a04173f_c.jpg
Might be a cross. It looks a lot like Fresno but reminds me of a hybrid I grow for pickling. It's an annum.

How does it taste ?

we will be able to narrow it down some more once you have some pics of the plant to share.

Until then, there is a pepper called "something" carrot - if memory serves it was roughly triangular, jalapeno sized, thick walled, white seeds.

as far as i remember it had a nice annum type of heat.
fresno sounds good, similar shape and size! i don't know if it has an orange type too. or bulgarian carrot related, this is a bit smaller. anyway i sow some seeds and they germinated well, so we will see how the plant will look like :)

sonka said:
23814765173_bb5fe74aa2_c.jpg

These are also from the market in Malaga, they were in a small plastic box, labelled "mexican chilli peppers". Some nice heat, unfortunately they were a bit old, and some fungus started to grow on it, so i just tried a few, saved the seeds, and had to throw away the rest.

Jamy C.baccatum

sonka said:
23814764743_a38fce525a_c.jpg

And the last one is from India, a friend brought these for me from a market. As i googled i've found "teja chili" name but i'm not sure.
Teja Chili or Guntur Sannam both are C.annuum

I think the last one can be a lot of things. I got a bag of dried peppers looking exactly like these, a friend brought to me from Thailand.
As jsschrstrcks say, till you have a plant, can name it X or whatever.

Back