• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

id these peppers please

Hey guys i bought these peppers off ebay before i actually got into growing peppers., i bought them before i found this site and my new love for growing peppers!, the problem is they were labelled jamaican red and yellow lanterns, is that the same as scotch bonnett?? any help would be great so i can label them proper.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290551379220#ht_711wt_698

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290551379233#ht_711wt_698

they are not the same as scotch bonnetts as the pod shape is different
scotch-bonnet-peppers.jpg

I see what looks like the peppers you pictured sold as Jamaican red/ yellow hots or Jamaican red/yellow Squash peppers a lot of times.
Some are advertised as both Chinense or Annuums.
Depends who is selling them.
Lanterns as a name is new to me for that kind of pepper.
Sales pitch?
There are Chinense peppers I've grown call Purple lanterns or other colors called (orange,peach...)Lanterns too that aren't shaped like your pictures.
Yours look like what are sold as Jamaican red/Yellow hot or red/Yellow Mushroom peppers or Red/Yellow Squash peppers.
Some are Chinense and others are Annuums.
Growing any of the above produces similar pods so it's not like you are expecting Bhuts and getting red habs.

No matter which one you get they are pretty similar in heat and taste as far as I could tell when I grew the different named seeds out of the above.

I see what looks like the peppers you pictured sold as Jamaican red/ yellow hots or Jamaican red/yellow Squash peppers a lot of times.
Some are advertised as both Chinense or Annuums.
Depends who is selling them.
Lanterns as a name is new to me for that kind of pepper.
Sales pitch?
There are Chinense peppers I've grown call Purple lanterns or other colors called (orange,peach...)Lanterns too that aren't shaped like your pictures.
Yours look like what are sold as Jamaican red/Yellow hot or red/Yellow Mushroom peppers or Red/Yellow Squash peppers.
Some are Chinense and others are Annuums.
Growing any of the above produces similar pods so it's not like you are expecting Bhuts and getting red habs.

No matter which one you get they are pretty similar in heat and taste as far as I could tell when I grew the different named seeds out of the above.

thanks for the response i contacted the seller and they are indeed squash peppers thank you :lol:

Back