• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

ID?

interesting. I wonder what they crossed with.

They are about as hot as you'd want to grab off a plant and toss in your mouth. The plant hasn't been especially vigorous. But is doing better than its clone. They are still busting out peppers in January! but I live in florida, and its 85... sooo... maybe only 8 peppers at a time at the most on it. Will save some seeds for next year. Ripens Green to yellowish/orange and then finally a bright red.

I grew paper lanterns last year and it looks very similar in shape, now taste is a whole nother thing and a huge telltale of what may be in there. My lanterns also went through a similar color change to red. The orange color in the Dropbox reminds me of criolla sella.

CAPCOM said:
I grew paper lanterns last year and it looks very similar in shape, now taste is a whole nother thing and a huge telltale of what may be in there. My lanterns also went through a similar color change to red. The orange color in the Dropbox reminds me of criolla sella.
I was thinking it could be criolla sella as well. I had ordered a box of OP pods last year that included Criolla Sella - and they would have been in the mix of seeds these were grown out from, so its possible that its a Criolla Sella x Paper lantern hybrid... Or perhaps its parentage is more complicated than that because I didn't think Baccatum and C. Chinense played well together consistently.

Paper Lanterns dont have much taste to me, but they have a wicked stingy burn.  Its a nice chili to grow for production and for thse that dont really like the true hab flavor, I didnt grow last year but will grow again this year. 

But yea, it looks like a cross of some kind to me also since the pheno is throwing out unpredictable shapes and such. 

Maybe you have a gem there, hope you enjoy them!  cheers

jsschrstrcks said:
I was thinking it could be criolla sella as well. I had ordered a box of OP pods last year that included Criolla Sella - and they would have been in the mix of seeds these were grown out from, so its possible that its a Criolla Sella x Paper lantern hybrid... Or perhaps its parentage is more complicated than that because I didn't think Baccatum and C. Chinense played well together consistently.
It would appear to be an interesting pepper, especially if it tastes good. Maybe worth saving. But being in Fla you could just let it grow.
Buzzman19 said:
Paper Lanterns dont have much taste to me, but they have a wicked stingy burn.  Its a nice chili to grow for production and for thse that dont really like the true hab flavor, I didnt grow last year but will grow again this year. 

But yea, it looks like a cross of some kind to me also since the pheno is throwing out unpredictable shapes and such. 

Maybe you have a gem there, hope you enjoy them!  cheers
I actually had lantern that were not too bad in the flavor production and as far as pod output, man they crank. But that aside, a potential cross could be the game changer for the lack of taste you mentioned.

jsschrstrcks said:
Well I like them, so I'll save seeds. We shall see what comes next year. I have another one I need to get and post pictures of, its a moruga shape, with a cayenne heat.
A rather mild moruga,Cayenne meaning same profile as cayenne or just heat intensity?

Back