• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ideal sun exposure

i think it depends on where you live as well as the variety you have.

Most of the peppers i have cannot tolerate full sun here where i live. They burn and are stunted.
The do well with 1-2hours and then partial sun after that.

But most local bird eyes and other variety can tolerate full sun. Its all trial and error for me.

Based on my growing experience here in Panama City, zone 8b, Rocotos and chiltepins definitely prefer some shade. I believe they both thrive in the Andean highlands where it gets cool at night. So, maybe it's not so much that they prefer shade as it is more moderate temperatures.

I have also found that Datils seem to prefer some shade.

I agree with what was said above, ideally the more sun the better but its the heat that becomes the problem. Here in Ontario, I try to chase the sun around by moving pots in the late afternoon to get as much sun as possible
My Pubescens seem to do best with all day filtered light but I know Willard had one type that did great in full light

Full sun in Suffolk, Virginia in the summer gets pretty damn hot. I left out my peppers that where potted last year all day and they survived just fine. Big leaf, small leaf, whatever. I will do the same this year just changing from pot to ground (raised beds). I would like to think that peppers are naturally sun dwelling plants. I would say desert heat is extreme but everywhere else should be good to go.

Back